Need a replacement Linear Regulator

In summary, the conversation discusses a small e-reader with charging problems and the search for a voltage regulator IC, SGM2007-3.3, to replace it. The user is unable to find a supplier for the specific IC and is looking for a substitute. A suggestion is made for the AP139-33WG from Diodes, Inc., which is available at Digikey for a reasonable price. The conversation concludes with a welcome to the user on PhysicsForums.
Divinitous
I have a small e-reader that I use for long flights and random opportunities to kill time. It's a great little device but recently it's been having charging problems. I narrowed down the problem to a voltage regulator. It seems that when I lift the ground the unit will work fine through usb. Then I can short the ground to its pad and unplug it it'll run fine off of the battery.

Well the IC is imprinted with X733 and a bit of searching pointed me to it being a SGM2007-3.3

Data Sheet: http://www.masterelec.com/master-admin008/editor/UploadFile/20061025171732929.pdf

It seems that I cannot find any supplier for that IC. Especially one that would allow me to get only one or two. So here I am, maybe you folks would have better luck finding it or pointing me to a substitute.

-Ryan

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about one of these instead (AP139-33WG from Diodes, Inc.)?
http://www.diodes.com/datasheets/AP139.pdf

It's available from Digikey for a little over a buck:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=AP139-33WGCT-ND

I just went to Digikey, searched for voltage regular, narrowed by linear (32,879) and those in stock (10,657), narrowed to 3.3V output (1,446), SOT23-5 packaging (299), and then narrowing down to those between 300 mA and 700 mA output (select click), which yielded 39 results (a mere 2 pages, many of which are repeated due to bulk and non-bulk purchasing).

Happily, the first non-bulk item has the same pinout. Unfortunately, its max input is only 6V instead of 7, but if that works in your system, you're (probably) off to the races.

EDIT: ...And welcome to PhysicsForums!

Last edited:

1. What is a linear regulator?

A linear regulator is an electronic device that regulates the output voltage to a constant level, regardless of changes in the input voltage or load current. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to provide a stable and reliable power supply.

2. Why would I need a replacement linear regulator?

You may need a replacement linear regulator if your current one is malfunctioning or damaged. This could be due to age, wear and tear, or other external factors such as power surges or faulty connections.

3. How do I know which replacement linear regulator to choose?

The best way to determine which replacement linear regulator to choose is to check the specifications of your current regulator and find a replacement with the same or similar voltage and current ratings. It is also important to consider the package type and pin layout to ensure compatibility with your circuit.

4. Can I replace a linear regulator with a different type of regulator?

It is generally not recommended to replace a linear regulator with a different type, such as a switching regulator, as they have different operating principles and may not be compatible with your circuit. However, if necessary, it is important to carefully research and select a replacement regulator with similar specifications and compatibility.

5. Do I need any special tools or skills to replace a linear regulator?

Replacing a linear regulator does not typically require any special tools or skills. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of electronics and proper soldering techniques if the regulator is surface mount. It is also recommended to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions when handling electronic components.