Need a review on how to factor cubic polynomials

In summary, you can use the rational roots test and long division to factor cubic polynomials and find its roots. If the test fails, you can use the cubic formula to find the roots. Don't forget to factor out a 2 before using the formula. Online resources, such as the website given, can also provide helpful explanations and examples for factoring cubic polynomials.
Propagandhi
So long story short, I have a friend who wants me to help her learn how to factor cubic polynomials. Normally I would just fess up and say I don't remember but it's something I'd like to review myself and lessons online aren't the clearest.

Here's one of the questions:

2x3+3x2-8x+3

I need a quick 101. Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Propagandhi said:
So long story short, I have a friend who wants me to help her learn how to factor cubic polynomials. Normally I would just fess up and say I don't remember but it's something I'd like to review myself and lessons online aren't the clearest.

Here's one of the questions:

2x3+3x2-8x+3

I need a quick 101. Any help would be much appreciated!

Let's call your cubic polynomial f(x). You could use the rational roots test to help you find roots of the polynomial. Once you have a root (call it r), use long division: f(x)/(x-r). This should give you a quadratic, and to find the other two roots(call them s and t) just use the quadratic formula. So in the end, you'll get f(x) = 2(x-r)(x-s)(x-t).

If the rational root test fails, use http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/CubicFormula.html to find your roots. Note that you must factor out a 2 out of the whole expression before you can use these formulas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try this site:
http://www.1728.com/cubic2.htm

What is a cubic polynomial?

A cubic polynomial is a polynomial function that has a degree of 3, meaning it contains terms with exponents of 3, 2, and 1. It can be written in the form ax³ + bx² + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants.

What does it mean to factor a polynomial?

Factoring a polynomial means to rewrite it as a product of simpler polynomials or monomials. This is done by finding common factors and using the distributive property to simplify the expression.

How do you factor a cubic polynomial?

To factor a cubic polynomial, you can use various techniques such as grouping, the difference of cubes formula, or the rational root theorem. It involves finding the common factors and then using algebraic methods to simplify the expression into a product of simpler polynomials.

Why is factoring important?

Factoring allows us to simplify complicated polynomial expressions, making them easier to understand and work with. It is also a useful tool in solving equations and determining the roots or solutions of polynomial functions.

What are some tips for factoring cubic polynomials?

Some tips for factoring cubic polynomials include looking for common factors, applying the difference of cubes formula, and trying different methods such as grouping or the rational root theorem. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with different types of cubic polynomials to develop a better understanding of how to factor them.