Need advice on how to effectively cram a month's worth of material

In summary, this semester in uni I took a very overwhelming load of technical/problem solving courses. I ended up dropping two courses and now I have a pretty light load. The problem is my bad habits lead me to procrastinate heavily on my studies for the first month of the semester. Luckily, I feel the material isn't too sophisticated because it's only the first couple of chapters in the textbook. The courses I need to cram for are Ordinary Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, and Physics (electricomagnetism - honours sophomore level course using vector calc). Any advice on how to cram a months worth of study in a week or so? Anyone gone through such any experience? Please share any experiences and
TehGao
Hi, this semester in uni I took a very overwhelming load of technical/problem solving courses. I ended up dropping two courses and now I have a pretty light load. The problem is my bad habits lead me to procrastinate heavily on my studies for the first month of the semester. Luckily, I feel the material isn't too sophisticated because it's only the first couple of chapters in the textbook. The courses I need to cram for are Ordinary Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, and Physics (electricomagnetism - honours sophomore level course using vector calc)

Any advice on how to cram a months worth of study in a week or so? Anyone gone through such any experience? Please share any experiences and advice you may have.

Thanks- any response would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
This will not be easy. If it were possible to effectively learn the material in 1/4 of the time, college would be only one year long.

Anyone gone through such any experience? Please share any experiences and advice you may have.
I've been through such an experience. I had to cram 1 year and a half in 7 months. That was in the last year of high school. I did pretty bad as many members of my family expected. I was pretty confident in myself : way too much in fact.
So I had to retake the last year and I made through it.

The only advice I can give you is : do many exercises/problems everyday.
I don't know if you can study the 3 courses everyday or you need different days for the different courses. Think about it, and do not lose a single day not studying. You're lucky enough that a week won't probably cause you a study burnout.

I know by personal experience that if it would be me, I wouldn't be able to cram a month of material in a week, when the courses are the ones you provided. At best I could know about the main ideas, but no details nor a lot of exercises done.
Good luck!

1. How can I effectively cram a month's worth of material?

To effectively cram a month's worth of material, it is important to create a study schedule and stick to it. Break down the material into smaller chunks and set specific goals for each study session. Prioritize the most important topics and focus on understanding the key concepts rather than memorizing everything.

2. Is it better to study for long periods of time or have shorter study sessions?

It is better to have shorter study sessions with breaks in between, rather than studying for long periods of time. Our brains can only retain so much information at once, and taking breaks allows us to rest and recharge, making our study sessions more effective.

3. Should I study alone or with a study group?

This depends on personal preference and learning style. Some people benefit from studying alone as it allows them to focus and work at their own pace. Others may find studying with a group helpful for discussing and reviewing material, as well as keeping each other accountable.

4. How can I retain the information I am cramming?

One effective way to retain information while cramming is to use active learning techniques such as summarizing, making flashcards, or teaching the material to someone else. Taking breaks and getting enough sleep also helps the brain retain information better.

5. What should I do if I feel overwhelmed while cramming?

If you feel overwhelmed while cramming, take a step back and reassess your study schedule. Make sure you are taking breaks and getting enough rest. If needed, prioritize the most important material and focus on understanding the key concepts rather than trying to memorize everything. It is also helpful to reach out to a teacher or tutor for additional support and guidance.