Gelfand & Fomin vs. Lanczos to learn Calculus of Variations

In summary, the conversation discusses various resources for learning the Calculus of Variations in order to better understand Landau's treatment of the principle of least action. Gelfand & Fomin and Lanczos are two recommended books, with a preference towards Gelfand & Fomin for its rigorous and clear presentation. The book "Advanced Engr Mathematics" by Doherty & Keller is also suggested as a good starting point. A cheaper option is the book "The Calculus of Variations" by I.M. Gelfand, which provides a historical and intuitive perspective.
ian_dsouza
I am learning the Lagrangian formalism from Landau & Lifshitz but I'm not very familiar with variational calculus. Landau assumes its knowledge and uses it directly. Although the equations look analogous to what you'd do with ordinary calculus, I'd like to understand the foundation and ideas behind variational calculus before I continue with Landau's book.

I am looking for a book on the Calculus of Variation and have searched this forum a bit. I have boiled it down to Gelfand & Fomin and Lanczos. I want to work towards a strong mathematical foundation to continue with Landau's treatment of the principle of least action. Which one would you recommend? Also, any good video lectures on the topic?

I have both books, have used them both, and don't really like either one very well. I think I would lean slightly in favor of Gelfand & Fomin.

One of the best presentations, at least for starters, is an old, 2 vol set, by Doherty & Keller, written for the GE advanced course in the 1930s. The title was roughly "Advanced Engr Mathematics," but I'm not too sure on the exact title. This is where I would recommend you start.

Likes ian_dsouza
ian_dsouza said:
I'd like to understand the foundation and ideas behind variational calculus before I continue with Landau's book.

This book looks nice and is very cheap indeed, probably worth getting anyway: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486450341/?tag=pfamazon01-20. Certainly it seems to cover what the ideas are or what the purpose is.

I want to work towards a strong mathematical foundation to continue with Landau's treatment of the principle of least action.

I think that book would help because it is an optimization problem and if you take the point of view that an integral is the name of a problem, which I always found to be most sensible, this book is giving you the necessary background.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes ian_dsouza
The benefit of Gelfand and Fomin is that everything is rigorous. It is presented clearly, and there's really very little uncertainty in what they are saying. You'll read the first 100 pages and know all you need to know about the Calculus of Variations. It is a lovely book.

I read Lanczos a few years ago, and I found that, while he does develop the calculus of variations, that's more of a side-goal for him. I had the feeling while reading that the book demanded more physics maturity than I had at the time (where I define physics maturity as the ability to fill in the mathematical details from a physical argument.) There's lots of subtleties in classical mechanics (and the calculus of variations for that matter) and I feel that (perhaps counter-intuitively) these should first be explained rigorously (so you know where you stand), and only later should the simpler, intuitive ways of thinking about them be introduced (which you find in Lanczos in spades).

So if all you want is CoV, get G&F. But for a more historical and intuitive perspective, you could Lanczos too (they're both cheap!)

Likes ian_dsouza

1. What is Calculus of Variations?

Calculus of Variations is a mathematical discipline that deals with optimizing functions over a set of possible functions. It is used to find the most optimal path or function that minimizes or maximizes a given quantity.

2. What is the difference between Gelfand & Fomin and Lanczos methods?

Gelfand & Fomin and Lanczos methods are two different approaches to solving problems in Calculus of Variations. Gelfand & Fomin method focuses on finding the Euler-Lagrange equation, while Lanczos method uses an iterative process to approximate the solution.

3. Why are Gelfand & Fomin and Lanczos methods important in Calculus of Variations?

Both Gelfand & Fomin and Lanczos methods are important because they provide efficient ways to solve problems in Calculus of Variations. These methods allow us to find optimal solutions to real-world problems in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

4. What are the main limitations of Gelfand & Fomin and Lanczos methods?

The main limitation of Gelfand & Fomin method is that it requires the function to be twice-differentiable, which may not always be the case in real-world problems. Lanczos method, on the other hand, may converge slowly or not at all for some functions, making it less reliable in certain situations.

5. How can I learn more about Gelfand & Fomin and Lanczos methods in Calculus of Variations?

There are many resources available for learning about Gelfand & Fomin and Lanczos methods, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. It is also helpful to practice solving problems using these methods to gain a better understanding of their applications.