1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis Recommend me a calculus of variation book

1. Feb 10, 2016 #1
    Hi!
    I have some trobles while studying the lagrange mechanics chapter of Marion's Classical Mechanics.
    There are some variation techniques in that book, but I only studied calculus and elementary linear algebra in my freshman year. I can't understand how partial derivation and delta notation works. Therefore I want to study more about the variation techniques.
    Can you recommend me a book about calculus of variation for physics?

Sorry for my poor english :x

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2016 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Hi
    "Mathematical methods for physicists" by Arfken and Weber has a chapter on this which is pretty good I think.
    In case you find the above book difficult to read, you can try "mathematical methods in the physical sciences" by Mary Boas. But its still good to at least take a glance at Arfken's because it usually deepens the understanding after having some first exposure.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted