Need Expert help on levitating an object

1. Hi Everybody.
    I am new here and hopefully one of you experts can help me.
    I am trying to do a special project that has never been done in my industry. But I do not have the expertise to accomplish it by myself without some expert knowledge.
    I am wanting to levitate an object. I have been researching alot online and that is how I found this site.
    With my research I believe I would have to use electromagnets to make it stable, correct ?
    How heavy of an object can be levitated ?
    I am really in the dark about all of this. I know what I want to accomplish but don't know how to go about doing it, physics are not my expertise, as I am sure you have figured out by now, LOL.
    I am really looking for somebody or some company that I can talk to by phone or even better yet, in person.
    If anybody can point me in the right direction, I would be greatly thankful !!
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Bobbywhy

Bobbywhy 1,908
    Gold Member

BlCrekTaxdrmy, Welcome to Physics Forums! You are describing a fun project! Many others have levitated plenty of objects already. I suggest you go to Google and enter search terms "levitate frog" and see all the interesting hits you get!
    Cheers,
    Bobbywhy

4. Bobbywhy, Thanks for the reply. I have been doing just that.
    Do you know what a weight limit would be to levitate ?

5. Integral

Integral 7,345
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  7. You can use a laser to optically levitate micron-sized objects.

8. A.T.

A.T. 5,751
    Gold Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VulGx38nSg8

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?