Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need good intro. to Statistics book

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1
    Hey folks,

I need a good intro to statistics book that will take me through the 'statistics equivalent' of a Cal I, II and III course (US). One that starts with a good foundation, and proceeds up to a pretty advanced level.

I have just finished a PhD in physics, so my math is 'good', but I've somehow managed to avoid all but the most basic of stats, and when I've needed it I've 'learned' it to get me through a problem, then hastily forgotten it again.

Anyway, I am now moving into the quantitative analytics field (finance) and so need a good solid stats foundation.

I'm sure there are loads of books out there, but I'm looking for some personal recommendations from PF phriends.

Thanks!

Spock

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2008 #2
    I should point out that I hated the statistics I did at university but I was really helped by a book called 'A Basic Course in Statistics' by G M Clarke and D Cooke. I ended up learning most of my course directly from the book rather than the lectures so I can recommend it for self-study. I haven't done a lot of stats, but that book covered more than I needed for a two semester course in it.

4. Dec 12, 2008 #3
    I did stats for a year (in UK). The recomendation for us was a book by J.A.Rice. I can't recall which one but I think his books are supposed to be good.

Have fun.

5. Dec 13, 2008 #4
    Great, thanks for the advice folks!

Spock

6. Dec 21, 2008 #5
    Hi Spock, a good statistics book I would recommend is "Mathematical Statistics with
    Applications" by Mendenhall and Scheaffer. It's a wonderful book because it touches on most of the concepts that I had to learn later on. It is definitely a starter's book and I still refer to it from time to time when I forget my silly concepts!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?