Need good intro. to Statistics book

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a good introductory statistics book to prepare them for a career in quantitative analytics. They have a PhD in physics but have only learned the basics of statistics and are now looking for a solid foundation. One suggestion is the book "A Basic Course in Statistics" by G M Clarke and D Cooke, which was helpful for self-study. Another recommendation is "Mathematical Statistics with Applications" by Mendenhall and Scheaffer, which covers important concepts and is still referred to by the person giving the recommendation.
spock0149
Hey folks,

I need a good intro to statistics book that will take me through the 'statistics equivalent' of a Cal I, II and III course (US). One that starts with a good foundation, and proceeds up to a pretty advanced level.

I have just finished a PhD in physics, so my math is 'good', but I've somehow managed to avoid all but the most basic of stats, and when I've needed it I've 'learned' it to get me through a problem, then hastily forgotten it again.

Anyway, I am now moving into the quantitative analytics field (finance) and so need a good solid stats foundation.

I'm sure there are loads of books out there, but I'm looking for some personal recommendations from PF phriends.

Thanks!

Spock

Physics news on Phys.org
I should point out that I hated the statistics I did at university but I was really helped by a book called 'A Basic Course in Statistics' by G M Clarke and D Cooke. I ended up learning most of my course directly from the book rather than the lectures so I can recommend it for self-study. I haven't done a lot of stats, but that book covered more than I needed for a two semester course in it.

I did stats for a year (in UK). The recomendation for us was a book by J.A.Rice. I can't recall which one but I think his books are supposed to be good.

Have fun.

Great, thanks for the advice folks!

Spock

Hi Spock, a good statistics book I would recommend is "Mathematical Statistics with
Applications" by Mendenhall and Scheaffer. It's a wonderful book because it touches on most of the concepts that I had to learn later on. It is definitely a starter's book and I still refer to it from time to time when I forget my silly concepts!

1. What is the best introductory book for learning Statistics?

The best introductory book for learning Statistics will depend on your individual learning style and needs. Some popular options include "Introductory Statistics" by Neil A. Weiss, "Statistics for Dummies" by Deborah J. Rumsey, and "The Cartoon Guide to Statistics" by Larry Gonick and Woollcott Smith. It is recommended to read reviews and preview the content of each book before making a decision.

2. Is there a specific prerequisite knowledge required for learning Statistics?

A basic understanding of mathematics, including algebra and geometry, is helpful for learning Statistics. Additionally, some familiarity with probability concepts can also be beneficial. However, most introductory Statistics books will explain fundamental concepts and equations in a way that is easy for beginners to understand.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement an introductory Statistics book?

Yes, there are many online resources available to supplement an introductory Statistics book. Some popular options include online tutorials and courses, video lectures, and interactive practice problems. It is also helpful to join online communities or forums where you can ask questions and discuss difficult concepts with others.

4. How long does it typically take to learn Statistics from an introductory book?

The time it takes to learn Statistics from an introductory book will vary depending on your dedication and prior knowledge. It is recommended to set aside a few hours each week to study and practice the material, and to review difficult concepts as needed. With consistent effort, it is possible to gain a solid understanding of introductory Statistics within a few months.

5. Are there any tips for effectively studying from an introductory Statistics book?

Some tips for effectively studying from an introductory Statistics book include setting aside dedicated study time, practicing problems regularly, and seeking help or clarification when needed. It can also be helpful to take notes, create study guides, and break down complex concepts into smaller, manageable parts. Additionally, practicing with real-life examples and data sets can enhance understanding and applicability of the material.