1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help choosing a track in physics major

1. Oct 12, 2016 #1
    Hello everyone!
    So within my major I can choose from various specializations, but I'm not sure what one would carry me the farthest in my career. I was wondering if I could get some advice on what I could do with these specific tracks before I make the final decision on which one to study. They are as follows:
    1. Materials Physics
    2. Optics and Lasers
    3. Computational Physics
    4. Astronomy
    I already plan on minoring in astronomy, but I'm not sure what specialization would make me better stand out in the work force.
    Thank you all in advance for the advice!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2016 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's difficult to offer much advice based on the name of the tracks alone. A lot depends on the details such as the specific coursework involved in each route, and of course your own strengths and interests.

4. Oct 13, 2016 #3
    For general employability, I would lean toward computational physics. In industry, my programming skills were my most valuable asset.

A physics major with strong programming skills will always have much better and broader job opportunities than one without.

5. Oct 13, 2016 #4
    That's what I was thinking as well, but I still wanted to gather some more insight on the matter to help me make a good choice. I'll start researching computational physics more to see if it's right for me. Thank you!

6. Oct 13, 2016 #5
    I'm still looking into it, but we get a lot of speaker regarding optical physics and several companies sought out some of the seniors who graduated last year.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted