Need help deciding where to study

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's dilemma between choosing to study physics at either IIT Kanpur or IISER in India. They express concerns about the limited job opportunities for physics graduates in India and the need to go abroad for better prospects. They seek advice on which institute is more recognized internationally, with the IIT tag being a well-known factor. The other participant shares their experience of IIT graduates being accepted at top graduate programs and mentions IIT Kanpur's strong reputation in the field of physics.
Abhibhav
I live in India, and i just finished school, and decided to study physics. I got a seat in IIT Kanpur for a Bsc in Physics and also a seat in IISER(Indian Institute of Science Education and Research), and I can't decide where to go.
I understand that there is little to no scope for a Physics graduate here in India, and that I have to go abroad after studying. My decision has to thus be based on which of these institutes is more recognized outside the country, and I would really appreciate any insight on the same.

Physics news on Phys.org
The IIT tag is something that people recognise. Just saying, I don't know too much about IISER, is it better than IISC?
All the best for wherever you end up going :)

I don't know about IISER but most of the graduate students at my grad school (top five program) actually went to IIT Kanpur. I know of three in my group alone so I am sure there are more in my program and a lot more at other schools. I know other students I know went to different IITs. Basically everyone I know who did undergrad in India went to an IIT and I think IIT Kanpur is especially well known for physics.

1. What factors should I consider when deciding where to study?

When deciding where to study, there are several important factors to consider. These include the quality and reputation of the institution, the program and courses offered, the location and cost of living, the availability of financial aid and scholarships, and the campus culture and community.

2. How do I determine which universities or colleges are the best fit for me?

To determine the best fit for you, it's important to do thorough research on different universities and colleges. Look at their academic programs, campus resources, location, and student demographics. You can also visit the campus or attend virtual events to get a feel for the culture and community.

3. Is it better to attend a large, well-known university or a smaller, lesser-known one?

The size and reputation of a university are not the only factors to consider. It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals. A larger university may offer more resources and opportunities, but a smaller one may have a more intimate learning environment. Consider what is important to you and what will help you achieve your academic and career goals.

4. How important is the location of the university when making a decision?

The location of the university can play a significant role in your overall college experience. Consider factors such as the cost of living, transportation options, and the surrounding community. You may also want to think about the type of environment you prefer – urban, suburban, or rural – and how it will impact your lifestyle and academic pursuits.

5. What resources are available to help me make a decision on where to study?

There are many resources available to help you make a decision on where to study. These include college websites, virtual tours, college fairs, and college counselors. You can also reach out to current students or alumni for their insights and experiences. It's important to gather as much information as possible to make an informed decision.