Need help designing a Diffusion experiment

In summary, the question is how to make an air tight fish tank initially, but later remove the divider to allow for the mixing of two colored liquids for a science project. Suggestions include using wiper blades or a ball valve to connect two tanks.
imrealdumb

Homework Statement

Doing a science project for school. I have a fish tank and a divider separating one colored liquid on one side and another colored liquid on the other. I need it air tight initially, but will later remove the divider to allow the liquids to mix, demonstrating diffusion.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a tank and an acrylic divider. The issue is how to make it air tight initially while allowing the opportunity to remove the divider and allowing the liquids to mix.

Any ideas? Thanks, and sorry if this is too juvenile of a question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? :smile:

I recognize this may be a rudimentary post, but I'm hoping some people here might have some suggestions.

Thanks.

Have a look at several types of wiper blades - maybe you can adapt them.

That's a great idea. I tried looking for some type of rubber seal/gasket at Home Depot, but no dice.

Thanks.

Don't know if this geometry would work for you, but if you had two tanks you could connect them with a short length of PVC pipe that has a ball valve in the center. Ball valves can be opened completely and suddenly, and you can get them in substantial sizes (up to 2" and 3" diameter pipe) at home centers.

1. What is the purpose of a diffusion experiment?

The purpose of a diffusion experiment is to observe and measure the movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. This process is known as diffusion and is an important mechanism for the movement of molecules in biological and chemical systems.

2. What materials are needed for a diffusion experiment?

The materials needed for a diffusion experiment may vary depending on the specific design, but some common items include a container or petri dish, a solution with a higher concentration of particles, a solution with a lower concentration of particles, and a way to measure and track the movement of particles.

3. How do you set up a diffusion experiment?

To set up a diffusion experiment, you will need two solutions with different concentrations of particles. Place a small amount of the higher concentration solution in one side of the container and a small amount of the lower concentration solution in the other side. Make sure the solutions do not mix. Then, measure and record the movement of particles over a period of time.

4. What factors can affect the rate of diffusion in an experiment?

The rate of diffusion can be affected by several factors, including the concentration gradient (the difference in concentrations between the two solutions), the temperature, the size and type of particles, and the medium in which the diffusion is happening. Other factors, such as stirring or agitation, can also impact the rate of diffusion.

5. How do you analyze the results of a diffusion experiment?

The results of a diffusion experiment can be analyzed by plotting the data on a graph and looking at the trend of particle movement over time. The rate of diffusion can be calculated by measuring the distance the particles have moved and dividing it by the time elapsed. Additionally, statistical tests can be used to determine if there is a significant difference in the rates of diffusion under different conditions.