1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help designing a Diffusion experiment

1. Jan 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Doing a science project for school. I have a fish tank and a divider separating one colored liquid on one side and another colored liquid on the other. I need it air tight initially, but will later remove the divider to allow the liquids to mix, demonstrating diffusion.

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have a tank and an acrylic divider. The issue is how to make it air tight initially while allowing the opportunity to remove the divider and allowing the liquids to mix.

Any ideas? Thanks, and sorry if this is too juvenile of a question.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2007 #2
    Anyone? :smile:

I recognize this may be a rudimentary post, but I'm hoping some people here might have some suggestions.

Thanks.

4. Jan 26, 2007 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Have a look at several types of wiper blades - maybe you can adapt them.

5. Jan 26, 2007 #4
    That's a great idea. I tried looking for some type of rubber seal/gasket at Home Depot, but no dice.

Thanks.

6. Jan 26, 2007 #5

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't know if this geometry would work for you, but if you had two tanks you could connect them with a short length of PVC pipe that has a ball valve in the center. Ball valves can be opened completely and suddenly, and you can get them in substantial sizes (up to 2" and 3" diameter pipe) at home centers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?