Thermodynamics: 2 gases in 2 chambers

In summary, the author doesn't know how to calculate internal energy from temperature and pressure, but he thinks the change in internal energy is zero. So, the only conclusion he can make is that the system has no internal energy and the final temperature and pressure are unknown.
Karol

Homework Statement

A stiff and isolated vessel is divided into 2 halves by an isolator divider. in each half there is a gas (i am not told if it's the same) with presures and temperatures T1, P1 and T2, P2. the divider is removed. Apply the first law of thermodynamics and draw conclusions.

Homework Equations

The first law: ##Q=U_2-U_1+W##
Work: ##W=c\cdot v##

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to calculate internal energy U from temperature T and pressure P, but i am not sure it's needed.
If i choose the system as the 2 gases together, then there is no work done and no heat transfer so the initial and final internal energies equal: U2=U1, but i don't know to deduce from that the final temperature Tf and pressure Pf.
If i choose each chamber as a system, and i have 2 systems, i don't know if the gas expansion from each system into the other chamber is as if in the other chamber is vacuum or if there is work done by the expanshion against the pressure of the other gas, and i don't know if i am allowed to take the pressure for the work as the the mean of the pressure of the other gas and the final, unknown pressure Pf.
So i don't know if i am allowed to treat each gas as if the other one doesn't exist, so to use the concept of partial pressure, but i wasn't taught this topic of partial pressures so i guess it's not relevant
If i use 2 separate systems which expand, make work and transfer heat to one another, and also apply the single system approach, i know that the heat transferred and the work each system does is equal to that the other absorbes, but i don't advance into final conclusions for Tf and Pf.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are various approaches you can use to attack this problem, but your first approach is the simplest and, in my judgement, is the preferred approach (i.e., the change in internal energy of the combined system is zero). I'm assuming you are dealing with ideal gases at this stage. For a pure ideal gas, you may have learned that the change in internal energy is given by ΔU=nCvΔT, where n is the number of moles, Cv is the molar heat capacity at constant volume, and ΔT is the change in temperature. For a mixture of ideal gases, the internal energy is the sum of the internal energies of the pure gases at the same temperature.

Chet

The book teaches ΔU=nCvΔT after this chapter of the first law. is it possible to solve Tf and Pf without that?

Karol said:
The book teaches ΔU=nCvΔT after this chapter of the first law. is it possible to solve Tf and Pf without that?
No.

So i am left with the conclusion that the only conclusion i can make is that ΔU=0 and nothing more about Tf and Pf?

Karol said:
So i am left with the conclusion that the only conclusion i can make is that ΔU=0 and nothing more about Tf and Pf?
I guess that's right. But still, that's a pretty powerful conclusion.

Chet

1. What is the basic concept of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that studies the relationship between heat, work, and energy in a system. It deals with the transfer of energy in the form of heat and work, and how this affects the properties and behavior of materials.

2. What is the difference between a gas and a chamber in thermodynamics?

A gas refers to a state of matter where particles are free to move and have no definite shape or volume. A chamber, on the other hand, is a container that holds the gas. In thermodynamics, gases are often used to study the transfer of heat and work, and chambers are used to contain and control the gases being studied.

3. How do you measure the properties of gases in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, gases are often described by their pressure, volume, and temperature. These properties can be measured using various tools and techniques, such as a thermometer for temperature, a barometer for pressure, and a graduated cylinder for volume.

4. What happens to the properties of gases when they are placed in different chambers?

The properties of gases can change when they are placed in different chambers due to changes in pressure, volume, and temperature. For example, when a gas is compressed into a smaller chamber, its pressure and temperature will increase, while its volume decreases.

5. How does the second law of thermodynamics apply to 2 gases in 2 chambers?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any energy transfer or transformation, some energy will be lost as heat. In the case of 2 gases in 2 chambers, some energy will be lost as heat due to the transfer of heat between the gases and the chambers. This law also explains why it is impossible to have a perfectly efficient system, as some energy will always be lost in the form of heat.