1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help figuring out this forces question

1. Nov 15, 2015 #1

m_t

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the question states: "wo forces act on an object at an angle of 75 degrees. One force is 195N. the net force it 225n. determine the second force that it makes with the net force"

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried finding the second force by finding the two forces for the final force and subtracting by the two forces from the first force (by two forces i am referring to the direction they are going, in his case, i assumed they wen east and north). then using that answer, i found the original force (hypotenuse). However, and after redoing my calculations three times, i keep o getting 30N, while the answer states 72N

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2015 #2
    Your first statement in the attempt at a solution is very confusing. You should draw the diagram, give names or symbols to the forces, and then restate what you have done.

4. Nov 15, 2015 #3
    Why don't you try to draw a vector diagram and make a closed triangle from the three forces?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted