Need help figuring out this forces question

In summary: This will help you to solve the problem and get the correct answer. In summary, the question asks for the second force acting on an object at an angle of 75 degrees, with one force being 195N and the net force being 225N. The attempt at a solution involves finding the two components of the final force and subtracting them from the first force to find the original force. However, this method yields an incorrect answer of 30N, while the correct answer is 72N. It is suggested to draw a vector diagram and use the properties of a closed triangle to arrive at the correct solution.
m_t

Homework Statement

the question states: "wo forces act on an object at an angle of 75 degrees. One force is 195N. the net force it 225n. determine the second force that it makes with the net force"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the second force by finding the two forces for the final force and subtracting by the two forces from the first force (by two forces i am referring to the direction they are going, in his case, i assumed they wen east and north). then using that answer, i found the original force (hypotenuse). However, and after redoing my calculations three times, i keep o getting 30N, while the answer states 72N

Physics news on Phys.org
m_t said:

Homework Statement

the question states: "wo forces act on an object at an angle of 75 degrees. One force is 195N. the net force it 225n. determine the second force that it makes with the net force"

Homework Equations

I tried finding the second force by finding the two forces for the final force and subtracting by the two forces from the first force (by two forces i am referring to the direction they are going, in his case, i assumed they wen east and north). then using that answer, i found the original force (hypotenuse). However, and after redoing my calculations three times, i keep o getting 30N, while the answer states 72N
Your first statement in the attempt at a solution is very confusing. You should draw the diagram, give names or symbols to the forces, and then restate what you have done.

m_t said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Why don't you try to draw a vector diagram and make a closed triangle from the three forces?

1. What is the definition of forces in science?

Forces are defined as a push or pull on an object that can cause it to accelerate or change its motion. They can be represented by arrows, with the direction of the arrow showing the direction of the force and the length of the arrow representing the strength of the force.

2. How do you calculate the net force on an object?

To calculate the net force on an object, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, add up all the forces in the same direction and subtract any forces in the opposite direction. The resulting force is the net force acting on the object.

3. What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces?

Balanced forces are forces that are equal in size and opposite in direction, resulting in a net force of zero. This means that the object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant speed. Unbalanced forces, on the other hand, have a net force that is not equal to zero, causing the object to accelerate in the direction of the net force.

4. How do forces affect an object's motion?

Forces can cause an object to speed up, slow down, change direction, or remain at rest. The type and strength of the forces acting on an object determine its motion. If the forces are balanced, the object will not change its motion, but if the forces are unbalanced, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

5. Can you give an example of a real-life forces question?

One example of a real-life forces question is, "How much force is needed to push a 50 kg box across a frictionless surface with an acceleration of 5 m/s^2?" To solve this question, you would use the formula F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. Plugging in the numbers, we can determine that a force of 250 N is needed to move the box at the given acceleration.