Need help figuring out this problem

• Thread starter Karhitect
  • Start date
In summary, Batman manages to escape the vault by swinging down to the floor and using a grappling hook to pull himself out. He slides until he comes to rest, and the value of v when an object is at rest is 3.83 m/s.
Karhitect

Homework Statement

6. A stunned Batman finds himself in a vault on a ledge. In an attempt the trap him the Joker runs out of the vault while the door closes. Batman fires a grappling hook into the ceiling at an angle, θ, attached to a line of length, L , and manages to pull himself off the ledge swinging down to the floor below. At the very bottom of the swing he let's go of the line to the grappling hook in an attempt to slide the rest of the way out of the door. Find an equation for how far Batman slides, x, as a function of L, θ and μk, the coefficient of kinetic friction between Batman and the floor. If the door is 9.00 meters away and the length of the line is 6.00 meters, the angle 60 degrees and the coefficient of friction 0.250 did Batman make it out? If he did, how fast was he sliding when he went through the door?

Homework Equations

fk (x)=E1 -E2
started out with that equation

The Attempt at a Solution

E1=mgL(1-cosθ)
E2=1/2mv2
fk=μkmg
so,

μkmg(x)=mgL(1-cosθ)-1/2mv2

then,
x=L(1-cosθ)/μk - v2 /2μkg

thats what i got for the equation but I am not sure its right because when i try to use it to find how far he slides i can't because i don't know what v is. I am really lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
"How far Batman slides" means "How far Batman slides before coming to rest."

yea still lost lol

Batman slides until he comes to rest. What is the value of v when an object is at rest? So, what is the value of v that you should use in your equation?

Welcome to PF!

Hi Karhitect! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Karhitect said:
E1=mgL(1-cosθ)

fine so far … that's the kinetic energy at the bottom of the swing :smile:
E2=1/2mv2
fk=μkmg
so,

μkmg(x)=mgL(1-cosθ)-1/2mv2

then,
x=L(1-cosθ)/μk - v2 /2μkg

this is rather confusing …

what is your E2 supposed to be? :confused:

if it's the energy at the start of the slide, then it's just E1, and v isn't relevant

if it's the energy at the door, then v is the answer :wink:

You should find that Batman slides more than 9.0 m before coming to rest. Therefore, he will make it out. If you want to know his speed as he goes through the door, what value would you use for x and what symbol would you solve for using your equation?

ohh duh lol that makes sense...i found that he slides 12 m ?

i think you would use 9m for x

would i use my same equation only solving for v this time?

Yes, 12 m. And you have the right idea for finding v at the door. :smile:

ok so then i got vf= mgL(1-cosθ)-μkmg

and i got 7.35 m/s ??

You have x = L(1-cosθ)/μk - v2 /2μkg

Rearrange: v2 /2μkg = L(1-cosθ)/μk - x

You'll still need to multiply through by 2μkg and then take a square root.

i think i did something wrong because i got a negative number...when i brought the 2μkg over i brought it next to the x...then i square rooted the whole thing. but because i got a negative number i couldn't square root...

v2 /2μkg = L(1-cosθ)/μk - x

When you multiply both sides by 2μkg, the whole right hand side gets multiplied.

v2 = 2μkg [L(1-cosθ)/μk - x]

ohhh i see i was thinking that you had to minus the whole thing by x...soooo i got 3.83m/s

Looks Good! :smile:

Thank you sooo much!

Related to Need help figuring out this problem

1. What is the best approach for solving this problem?

The best approach for solving a problem will depend on the specific nature of the problem and the resources available. It is important to first understand the problem thoroughly and then consider different strategies such as trial and error, breaking the problem into smaller parts, or seeking outside help.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

There are several ways to improve problem-solving skills, including practicing regularly, seeking feedback from others, and learning new techniques and strategies. It is also helpful to approach problems with a positive and open mindset, and to be patient and persistent in finding a solution.

3. What should I do if I am stuck on a problem?

If you are stuck on a problem, take a break to clear your mind and come back to it with a fresh perspective. You can also try discussing the problem with others, seeking guidance from a mentor or expert, or looking for similar problems and their solutions for inspiration.

4. How can I avoid getting overwhelmed by a difficult problem?

It can be easy to feel overwhelmed by a difficult problem, but there are strategies that can help. Break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, prioritize the steps needed to solve it, and take breaks when needed. It can also be helpful to remind yourself that it is okay to make mistakes and that problem-solving takes time and effort.

5. How can I apply problem-solving skills to real-world situations?

Problem-solving skills are essential for many areas of life, including in the workplace, personal relationships, and decision-making. Practice solving a variety of problems and apply the same strategies and techniques to real-world situations. Also, continue to learn and adapt to new challenges, and seek feedback and guidance from others when needed.