Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help finding a certain kind of foam

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1
    I'm looking for some foam that can be used as an airtight seal, but it needs to be soft. Maybe a little bit firmer than memory foam, if you know how soft that is. So it needs to be closed cell foam, that's relatively soft, but I don't know what kind of foam to search for. I'd have to buy it online because I don't know of any stores that specialize in foam. I just don't know what kind of foam to look for. I don't know any of the names. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does it have to be chemically resistant? How long does it have to last? Will it be exposed to sunlight or UV?

4. Apr 9, 2013 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

What do you plan to use it for? That might help us find what you need. I use a spray foam to create seals around certain things. Hobby stores sell various types of foam in many textures and sizes. An upholsterer could sell you foam. Like I said...more info please.

5. Apr 9, 2013 #4
    No it doesn't have to resist chemicals and it's not going to be exposed to UV light.
    It's going to be a seal for a vacuum chamber. I don't want it permanently stuck to the table, though.

I could check a hobby store. Then I could actually feel the foam to make sure it's what I want. Thanks.
    I'll have to search for upholsterers.

6. Apr 9, 2013 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Leroy, is there any particular reason that this has to be foam? I ask because most of the seals that I've seen in similar roles were neoprene, Teflon, etc..

7. Apr 9, 2013 #6
    I figured foam would provide the softness I wanted.

I have some neoprene, but it's kinda hard. It's like foam rubber. Is there a softer version of it?

8. Apr 9, 2013 #7

Danger

Gold Member

I don't know, but I think that the formula is reasonably alterable. There is also, of course, silicone sealant such as Imperial or DuPonte, or bathtub caulking. They're fairly soft. They're also messy as hell before they're dry, so might be more trouble than they're worth.

9. Apr 9, 2013 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Neoprene is what SCUBA suits are made of. It's pretty soft, durable, and it's closed foam. Maybe a dive shop might have some they use as patches?

10. Apr 10, 2013 #9

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It might be worth a phonecall or email to a manufcturer. If you can reach a sales engineer they'll generally point you to a commercial otc product.

I found a few with a search...

http://www.clarkfoam.net/polyurethane_foam_products.html [Broken]
    http://canada.foambymail.com/polyurethane-foam.html
    http://www.foamfabmn.com/polyurethane.html
    http://www.generalplastics.com/?_vs...ign=General+Plastics&ex=ccfxuh-13c8k9q-dm09nf

also check your local auto parts store ... there's lots of gasket making plastic goop in tubes.

and boat supplies. Closed cell polyurethane is used for floatation because it doesn't soak up water.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  11. Apr 10, 2013 #10

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

12. Apr 10, 2013 #11

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you are going to use it for a high vacuum chamber, you will be very disappointed with foam of any kind. You will never get the pressures you need. High vacuum chambers use soft metal (zero outgassing) seals. You might get by with a solid silicone seal, though.

I wouldn't consider any kind of foamed seal in a vacuum environment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook