Temperature, humidity and gas sealed box

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for controlled conditions in order to calibrate gas sensors for a thesis project. The idea of using a sealed box with tailored crystals and a temperature and humidity sensor is suggested, but there are concerns about its effectiveness. An alternative approach is proposed, involving an air/mixed gas reservoir chamber with controlled pressure, temperature, and 100% relative humidity. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of using pumps, turbines, and heat exchangers to increase the efficiency of the system.
ervays
Hi,

I'm working on my thesis and I need to calibrate some gas sensors that I'm building.

I need controlled conditions(temp, RH and a known gas concentration) in order to calibrate the sensors.

I'd love to know some idea to make a sealed box in which I trace and vary those parameter.

I've been thinking about buying tailor-made cristals and trying to find some kind of plastic/resin to fill the gap between them. To control temperature and humidity I could use a temperature and humidity sensor. I could use some kind of valve to introduce the neccesary amount of air inside the box. Anyway, this is just a quick approach and it may not even work.

Do you have any idea about how to make it? At least how to make a small part of it(For example how to vary humidity)?

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
Consider an air / mixed gas reservoir chamber with controlled pressure, temperature and 100% RH from free water. Then change the pressure and or temperature of that air as it departs the reservoir chamber and enters the smaller test chamber. Circulate the test chamber air mix back to the reservoir. Pumps, turbines and/or heat exchangers may be needed to increase the efficiency of the system.
By juggling P and T with 100% RH, between the reservoir and test chamber you can control your test parameters.

Likes ervays

1. What is the purpose of a gas sealed box?

A gas sealed box is used to create a controlled environment for scientific experiments or storage of sensitive materials. It prevents outside air, humidity, and contaminants from affecting the contents inside.

2. How does temperature affect the contents of a gas sealed box?

Temperature can greatly impact the contents of a gas sealed box. Extreme temperatures can cause changes in the properties of materials and can affect the rate of chemical reactions. Therefore, maintaining a consistent temperature inside the box is crucial for accurate results and safe storage.

3. How does humidity play a role in a gas sealed box?

Humidity, or the amount of water vapor in the air, can affect the moisture content of materials inside the gas sealed box. If the humidity is too high, it can cause materials to degrade or grow mold. If the humidity is too low, it can cause materials to become brittle and break. Therefore, controlling humidity levels is important in maintaining the integrity of the contents inside the box.

4. Can the temperature and humidity inside a gas sealed box be adjusted?

Yes, the temperature and humidity inside a gas sealed box can be adjusted by using specialized equipment such as temperature controllers and humidifiers. These tools allow for precise control of the environment inside the box to meet the specific needs of the contents.

5. What types of experiments or materials require a gas sealed box?

A gas sealed box is commonly used for experiments or materials that are sensitive to outside influences such as air, temperature, and humidity. This can include experiments involving biological samples, chemical reactions, and storage of delicate items like electronics or artwork.