Need help finding derivative/related rates

• Thread starter physics=world
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves finding the values of (dy/dt) and (dx/dt) in the equation xy = 4, with given values of x and dx/dt. The solution involves using the derivative formula x(dy/dt) + y(dx/dt) = 0 and solving for y to find the value of dy/dt.
physics=world
1. Assume that x and y are both differentiable functions of t and find the required values of (dy/dt) and (dx/dt).

Equation ---> xy = 4

find (dy/dt) when x = 8

Given (dx/dt) = 10

Homework Equations

i tried to find the derivative of xy = 4

The Attempt at a Solution

x(dy/dt) + y(dx/dt) = 0

and then i just plugged in the values but that gave me -(10y/8)

and the answers is -(5/8)

Physics news on Phys.org
And what is y when xy=4 and x=8?

clamtrox said:
And what is y when xy=4 and x=8?

what do you mean? :confused:

physics=world said:
what do you mean? :confused:

Ohh. nvm i got it. thanks!
but may i ask why would i need to find for y?

physics=world said:
Ohh. nvm i got it. thanks!
but may i ask why would i need to find for y?

You know the value of y, so why would you leave it into the form you gave when you can equally well just give a number?

In this problem they're asking for the value of dy/dy at the moment when x = 8 and dx/dt = 10. With this information you can solve for y in the equation xy = 4, and evaluate dy/dt.

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is often denoted by the symbol 'dy/dx' or 'f'(x). In simpler terms, it measures how much a function is changing at a particular point.

2. How do I find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to calculate the derivative of a function based on its algebraic form.

3. What is the relationship between derivatives and related rates?

Derivatives and related rates are closely connected because related rates problems involve finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. To solve related rates problems, you need to use derivatives to find the rate of change of the function.

4. Can you give an example of a related rates problem?

One example of a related rates problem is a ladder leaning against a wall. If the bottom of the ladder is sliding away from the wall at a constant rate, you can use the related rates concept to find the rate at which the top of the ladder is sliding down the wall.

5. How can I improve my skills in finding derivatives and solving related rates problems?

The best way to improve your skills in finding derivatives and solving related rates problems is through practice. Start by understanding the basic rules of differentiation and then solving a variety of problems with different levels of difficulty. You can also seek help from online resources, textbooks, or a tutor to improve your understanding and skills in this subject.