Need help finding the electric potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of electric potential for a cylindrical cable with a center rod of diameter a and a thick pipe with inner and outer radii b & c. The charge distribution on the inner rod is ρ = k cos(sπ/2a), while the outer rod has a uniform charge density to maintain a neutral system. The conversation suggests using the equation V=-integral E.dl and Gauss's Law, using cylindrical coordinates and Gaussian surfaces. The differential form may also be useful in this scenario.
JFuld

Homework Statement

calculate the electric potential for the following:

A cylindrical cable with a center rod of diameter a surrounded by a gap and a
thick pipe with inner and outer radii b & c. The charge distribution on the inner rod
is ρ = k cos(sπ/2a), and the outer rod has a uniform charge density such that the total
system is neutral.

Homework Equations

V=-integral E.dl
gausses law

The Attempt at a Solution

i calculated the electric field everywhere, but I am not sure how to go about calculating V.

My best guess is to calculate V the cylinder, setting my reference point at infinity and then work my way inside the cylinder, calculating V in each region.

But since the total system is neutral, the integral gives V=0 for outside the cylinder, which I have a feeling is incorrect...

My book doesn't really have any examples or explanations for charge distributions of this type so I just wanted to know if I am on the right track.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
this is sort of a cylindrical capacitor isn't it?
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=246762

The key is to use cylindrical coordinates.
Notice that the field depends only on radius.
Choose cylindrical gaussian surfaces.

Some people find the differential form more useful.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in space. It can also be thought of as the potential energy difference between two points in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential different from electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a property of a specific point in space, while electric potential energy is a measure of the total potential energy of a system of charges. Electric potential is independent of the charge, while electric potential energy depends on the amount of charge present.

3. How can I calculate electric potential?

Electric potential can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where the potential is being measured.

4. What is the unit of electric potential?

The SI unit of electric potential is volts (V), named after Italian physicist Alessandro Volta. Other commonly used units include joules per coulomb (J/C) and electron volts (eV).

5. How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential and electric field are closely related. Electric field is a measure of the force per unit charge at a point in space, while electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at that point. The electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential, meaning that the electric field points in the direction of decreasing potential.