Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help finding the propriate term!

1. Jul 30, 2011 #1
    I'm writing sorta a introduction doc for my co-worker... there is certain pins should be connected by a jumper to keep the hardware in certain state, so can I say something like:

"Ensure that UP2 & UP4 is shortfused by the jumper prior to entering the debug mode"?

As you people can see, I want to sorta shortwire the 2 pins DELIBERATELY in a positive manner, and my supervisor insist in using the word that means "short-circuit" or "shorwire" instead of "connect", and I think he is quite reasonable because in the industry, people all say it like that, but I really do not know the word that has a positive meaning and can be understand CORRECTLY by both professionals and laymen.

So can anyone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2011 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

I think 'connected' (when used without a modifier like, "through a 10k resistor") is understood to mean "through a low-resistance connection". When you make it more explicit, it sounds as if you need some sort of ground plane (or at least, through a higher contact area).

You could also use the word "shorted", which I seem to recall seeing in a datasheet or two.

4. Aug 1, 2011 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

MATLABdude has it correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook