1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help finding unique resistor combinations

1. Apr 6, 2009 #1
    Need help finding unique resistor combinations!!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Amps = 30, 45, 60, 70
    Voltage = 600 to 700, 600 to 800, 400 to 600
    I have three typres of resistors 3 ohm, 5 ohm, 10 ohm
    I have to find 17 combinations of resistors to work with the given amps and volts. The resistors all have to be differnet values(you cant use 2-3 ohm resistors, 2-5 ohm resistors or 2-10 ohm resistors.) The resistors can be in parallel or in a series.

2. Relevant equations

I=V/R

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Re: Need help finding unique resistor combinations!!!

Welcome to PF.

Sorry, I don't really understand your problem. What 17 combinations? I only see 12 combinations of voltage ranges and currents. Maybe if you could supply more information?

4. Apr 6, 2009 #3

That is my issue too....the teacher gave us the three different voltage ranges, the 4 different amperages, and we were told that we can use 3, 5, and 10 ohm resistors. She said that we have to find 17 combinations of using the resistors. Ex. I could use a 3,5,10 ohm resistor one time in a series. I could use a 3,5,10 the next time in parallel...as long as the I=V/R hold true.....

5. Apr 6, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

In that case then just make a table of all the resistor combinations you can make. You have 3 single resistors alone, you have 3 pairs in ||, 3 pairs in series alone, you have 3 more with 1 in || 2 in series, etc. Basically all combinations possible.

Then figure the equivalent resistances that each makes, and see which ones fit which V and I.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook