Need help- Force of friction in a circle.

In summary, the problem asks for the force of friction needed to keep a 45-kg merry-go-round worker from falling off a platform 6.3m from the center, given that her speed is 4.1 m/s. The relevant equation to solve for the force is \mu = \frac{v^2}{rg}, where \mu is the coefficient of friction, v is the speed, and r is the radius.
Socom

Homework Statement

A 45-kg merry-go-round worker stands on the ride's platform 6.3m from the center. If her speed as she goes around the circle is 4.1 m/s, what is the force of friction necessary to keep her from falling off the platform?

Homework Equations

f=ma
Ac=v^2/r
mu=v^2/rg (derived from [mu]g=v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't believe the 6.3m is relevant to the problem.

I believe Fnet=sigmaFx=theta=m*a

I am not really sure how to attack this problem and some help would be very nice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Socom said:

Homework Statement

A 45-kg merry-go-round worker stands on the ride's platform 6.3m from the center. If her speed as she goes around the circle is 4.1 m/s, what is the force of friction necessary to keep her from falling off the platform?

Homework Equations

f=ma
Ac=v^2/r
mu=v^2/rg (derived from [mu]g=v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't believe the 6.3m is relevant to the problem.

I believe Fnet=sigmaFx=theta=m*a

I am not really sure how to attack this problem and some help would be very nice.

You got the right equation:

[tex]\mu = \frac{v^2}{rg}[/tex]

now tell me... what does the r mean in:

[tex] A_c = \frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

Hello,

To solve this problem, we can use the equation F=ma, where F is the force of friction, m is the mass of the worker, and a is the centripetal acceleration. The centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the equation a=v^2/r, where v is the speed of the worker and r is the radius of the circle.

First, we need to find the centripetal acceleration. Since the worker is standing on the platform, the radius of the circle is 6.3m. We are given that the speed of the worker is 4.1 m/s. So, the centripetal acceleration is:

a = (4.1 m/s)^2 / 6.3m = 2.67 m/s^2

Now, we can plug this value into the equation F=ma. The mass of the worker is given as 45 kg, so:

F = (45 kg)(2.67 m/s^2) = 120.15 N

Therefore, the force of friction necessary to keep the worker from falling off the platform is 120.15 N.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

1. What is the force of friction in a circle?

The force of friction in a circle is the resistance force that opposes the motion of an object as it moves in a circular path. It is caused by the contact between the moving object and the surface it is moving on.

2. How is the force of friction in a circle calculated?

The force of friction in a circle is calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force exerted by the surface on the object.

3. What factors affect the force of friction in a circle?

The force of friction in a circle is affected by the coefficient of friction, the normal force, and the surface material. The coefficient of friction is dependent on the type of surfaces in contact and their smoothness. The normal force is affected by the weight of the object and the angle at which it is moving.

4. How does the force of friction in a circle affect an object's motion?

The force of friction in a circle acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to slow down and eventually come to a stop. It also affects the object's velocity and acceleration in a circular motion, as it opposes the object's movement.

5. How can the force of friction in a circle be reduced?

The force of friction in a circle can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. It can also be reduced by decreasing the normal force or by using smoother surfaces to reduce the coefficient of friction.