Need Help in making a slow descending yo yo for science club presentation

In summary, a person is looking for ideas to design a yo-yo for a science project that must take a long time to descend 2.0 meters. They are planning to use two hollow cylinders connected by a thin axle and are seeking help with inducing a counter torque to slow down the descent. They have considered using water flow or magnets, but are unsure how to control the direction of the water flow. They also mention the possibility of using friction, but the rules state that no friction can be applied.
physics094
Hey everyone! I am trying to lead a science project for my science club and I found this great one online. Basically, students must make a yo-yo that takes the longest amount of time to descend 2.0 meters. Any pulleys, gears, mechanical friction, or air resistance may not play a part in the slowed descent.

Now my problem is that I am trying to design a yo yo that would wow the observers after their project bit is over. I have thought of two ways to approach this project: 1) maximize rotational inertia 2) create a counter torque to that of that induced by the string.

I am planning to combine both ideas by 1) connection two hollow cylinders (have the highest moment of Inertia) with a much thinner axle.

The second is what I need help with. I need to induce a counter torque. I have thought of two ways, either using water that flows in a tube that surrounds the rims of the cylinders or using magnets. The only problem is how to induce water flow in a specific direction. If the string is making the system spin clockwise, how would i induce some sort of water flow counterclockwise? Please help me!

Also, I wasn't sure where to post this so please help me redirect it to the appropriate location.'

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it have to work like a yoyo - in other words does the entire object have to rotate and be constructed of two cylindrical sides attached by a center rod? Do you want to make it the same size as a traditional yoyo? I assume it has to fall to qualify?

You could seriously slow it down by making a gasket to fit between the two sides to produce friction on the string as it unwinds. I'd probably use silicone sealer - the real aquarium stuff - since you can trim it and shape it

You could also create a center movable cover and fill it with some very sticky substance - vaseline, STP oil treatment - so the string will unwind through the fluid.

It pretty much has to unwind on the string. Does not have to look like a traditional yoyo. The dimensions are max of 20 cm each way. The rules are that no friction can be applied. The solution has to deal solely with torque and angular momentum

yoyos already have friction so I would assume the rules mean no unusual friction. Can you fill the two sides with a fluid?

Yes that was what i was thinking. What do u have in mind?

I'd try a bunch of different things from a lead rim, bb's to STP oil treatment,water, ice water slush, hamsters in a wheel? hahaha

1. How does the slow descending yo-yo work?

The slow descending yo-yo works by utilizing a special mechanism called a centrifugal clutch. This mechanism allows the yo-yo to spin freely when the string is pulled down, but slows down when the string is released, causing the yo-yo to descend slowly.

2. What materials are needed to make a slow descending yo-yo?

The materials needed to make a slow descending yo-yo include a yo-yo body, a centrifugal clutch, a string, and a weight. The yo-yo body can be made from plastic or metal, and the weight can be a small metal ball or a washer. The centrifugal clutch can often be purchased from a hobby or toy store.

3. How can I adjust the speed of the yo-yo's descent?

The speed of the yo-yo's descent can be adjusted by changing the weight of the yo-yo or the tension of the string. Adding more weight or increasing the tension of the string will result in a slower descent, while decreasing the weight or tension will make the yo-yo descend faster.

4. Is it difficult to make a slow descending yo-yo?

The difficulty level of making a slow descending yo-yo depends on your level of experience and the materials you have available. If you have experience with tinkering and using small mechanical parts, then it may not be too difficult. However, if you are a beginner, it may take some trial and error to get the yo-yo to work properly.

5. What are some other uses for a slow descending yo-yo?

Aside from being a fun toy to play with, a slow descending yo-yo can also be used for experiments and demonstrations in physics classes. It can be used to showcase concepts such as centrifugal force, gravity, and energy conservation. Additionally, it can also be used as a tool for teaching patience and precision in hand-eye coordination activities.