1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help in the physic HW question!

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bullet of mass m = 17.6 g traveling horizontally at speed vo = 565 m/s strikes a block of mass M = 678 g sitting on a frictionless, horizontal table. This time, however, it comes out the other side of the block at speed v = 524 m/s.

Calculate J, the magnitude of the impulse exerted by the bullet on the block.

2. Relevant equations

Hm...

Impulse = Momentum = Ft = mv_f - mv_i

3. The attempt at a solution

I think that the impulse is same as the momentum. I think that is...

Impulse = mv_f - mv_i

I got -0.722 but it's incorrect. My professor said that impulse can't be negative because time is positive and force is positive.

But it seems like I'm on the wrong path. (This is from the previous question. Seems like nobody wants to pay attention, so I ask again.)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2012 #2
    Impulse is the change in momentum during a collision. But the question's asking for the impulse on the bullet by the block, not the other way around. So you'll have to find the change in momentum of the block first.

4. Oct 22, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is the impulse exerted on the bullet by the block.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook