Need help installing Metal Halide Lamp (Need UV)

In summary, The conversation is about installing UV lamps for the purpose of polymerization of chemical monomer with specific search parameters. The participants suggest fluorescent lamps as they are better at emitting UV compared to halogen lamps. They also advise cleaning the lamp with alcohol solvent to avoid failures caused by hot spots from oils on the bulb.
or1onz
Hi all,

This is about installing UV lamps so I guess I should post this in the Electrical sub-forum.

I am actually looking for a short but power UV lamps with the purpose of polymerization of chemical monomer. My original search parameter of lamps:
-Able to hit up to 25mW/cm2.
-Total length less than 25cm.
-Arc length around 12~15cm.

I search across the web and I manage to find Double ended Metal Halide Lamp. (Attached)

Question is, how do I install towards a ballast? Do I need some special end adapter?

Or does anyone have any recommendations of UV lamps that suited my specification?

Cheers!

Regards,
Edward

Attachments

• Double-Ended-Metal-Halide-Lamp.jpg
    Double-Ended-Metal-Halide-Lamp.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 483
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd contact the manufacturer for specifications / a fixture. I've seen PL-style fluorescent germicidal UV-C bulbs for aquarium water purifiers (and beefier industrial halide or arc discharge ones used for purifying air intakes), so you may also want to take a look into them.

I second the fluorescent lamp suggestion. Halogen lamps are usually better at IR than UV, whereas your basic fluor lamp IS a UV emitter and the visible is produced by coatings on the tube.

Once you find a way to power it (ballast, etc.), you want to make sure to clean the lamp to remove any oils from your fingers. This will eliminate hot spots on the bulb which could cause a failure. It's best to use methanol or some other alcohol solvent to remove the oils.

1. How do I properly install a metal halide lamp?

To install a metal halide lamp, you will need to ensure that the power is turned off and the fixture is cool. Then, carefully remove the old lamp and replace it with the new metal halide lamp. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper installation and to securely tighten all connections before turning the power back on.

2. Do I need to use protective gear when handling a metal halide lamp?

Yes, it is recommended to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling a metal halide lamp. The lamp contains harmful chemicals and can shatter if mishandled, so it is important to take precautions to protect yourself.

3. How do I determine the appropriate wattage for my metal halide lamp?

The appropriate wattage for a metal halide lamp depends on the size of the area you are trying to light. Generally, a rule of thumb is to use 1 watt of metal halide light for every 3-6 square feet of space. It is also important to consider the color temperature and color rendering index (CRI) of the lamp to ensure it meets your lighting needs.

4. Can I use a dimmer switch with a metal halide lamp?

No, metal halide lamps are not compatible with dimmer switches. Attempting to use a dimmer switch with a metal halide lamp can result in flickering, reduced lamp life, and potential safety hazards. It is best to use the appropriate on/off switch for these lamps.

5. How long do metal halide lamps typically last?

The lifespan of a metal halide lamp can vary depending on factors such as usage, environment, and quality of the lamp. On average, metal halide lamps can last anywhere from 6,000-20,000 hours. It is important to regularly check and replace the lamp when it reaches the end of its lifespan to ensure optimal performance and safety.