1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on a problem F=ma and i have gravity

1. Nov 10, 2009 #1
    F=?
    m=295kg
    a=75m/s^2

an object is falling with a mass 295kg and has an acceleration of 75m/s^2 what is the force of the collision.

F=295(75 * or + gravity)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2009 #2
    You've got the wrong idea about how to solve the problem.

4. Nov 10, 2009 #3

MacLaddy

Gold Member

Hey Ernest, help him/her out, and in doing so help me out. I'm curious how that would be figured.

FYI... Haven't yet gotten beyond algebra..

5. Nov 10, 2009 #4
    I'm sorry, I can't. It's homework. But I will give you a hint. The rate to which gravity accelerates falling objects is not 75 m/s2. If the problem has been correctly copied, then that hint should help

6. Nov 11, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Assuming that the acceleration figure is correct, which implies that the object is falling somewhere with a much higher gravitational attraction, the weight of the object is given by F = ma = 295kg *75 m/s^2 = 22,125 Nt.

The wording suggests that what might really be asked for is the energy of the collision, or E = (1/2)mv^2.

wash, can you post the exact wording of the problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook