Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on Aluminum propeller

1. Feb 17, 2007 #1
    I need to contact who ever would be authority on propeller design and applications.

In short, the Idea is to build a Aluminum prop, 1.2 meters diameter with weight of about 1000 grams. Targeted application would be primarily for powered para gliders. I need some arguments for and against before it leaves blueprint stage.

If you can point me in the right direction as to who the best contact for me would be, I would be ever so grateful.

If any of you have experiance on the issue, comments are more than welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I'm afraid that I can't help you with that. It does seem to me, however, that you'll have to have an awfully thin blade to keep the weight that low with metal.

4. Feb 17, 2007 #3

Design calls for 1mm thick Al aloy 6063-T6 "skin" with internal rib support in order to achieve desired weight yet maintain the integrity needed for the application.

5. Feb 17, 2007 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Ahhhh...
    I thought that you were talking about milling or casting one. Still can't help you, but it makes more sense now.

6. Feb 17, 2007 #5
    Yup, casting would be production method. Thanks anyway.

I am sorry for double post guys... do not reply here any more, live thread is: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=156830

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?