Need help on Ms Medical physics selection

In summary, the three schools the individual got admission to are the University of Oklahoma Health Science Center, Wayne State University, and the University of Florida. The individual is interested in the program that provides more clinical training and is concerned about the tuition costs. There are several recent graduates from the aforementioned schools who could help guide the individual in making a decision about pursuing a career in radiation oncology. The individual is a medical physicist and is interested in continuing on for a PhD.
smakil2005
i got admission for ms in medical physics at 3 places which is university of oklahoma health science center,wayne state and university of florida.i am interested in the program that provides more clinical training.the tuition is a big problem too since i would have to pay outof state fee at wayne and the other 2 i could get away with it.is there any graduates from any of these program that could guide me in this to make a good decision in order to pursue a clinical position in radiation oncology as my career in future.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not personally familiar with any of those programs, but I can tell you my opinion of what to look for when you have your choice of programs.

Accreditation is a big one. I think all of those programs are accredited by CAMPEP, but if you're entering graduate school now and plan on writing board exams you will need to have come through an accredited program.

Look at where their graduates are now. Has the institution hired its own graduates? Are recent graduates getting jobs in places you would like to go? Are recent graduates getting jobs at all in a sluggish economy?

What research projects are the students involved in? Are they interesting to you? Are they more clinical in nature, or more "translational" or more academic? Is there something there you could see yourself doing for the next several years of your life? Along these lines, one major red flag for me is schools that emphasize course work only with little to no emphasis on a thesis project. The research is where you really learn the most valuable skills that you can bring to the profession - even if you end up primarily a clinical physicist.

Is there an option to continue on for a PhD? Again this goes back to the point about research. The more skills you develop, the more physics you know, the more in demand you will be throughout your career.

Also, when starting a sentence it's proper form to use a capital letter. It makes your writing much easier to read.

Are you a medical physics graduate?

where did you graduate from?

Hey man I noticed you got into some good schools. Please respond to oklahoma soon because I am waitlisted and they are my top school! U of Florida and Wayne State have pretty good programs so if you can help a guy out that would be great! ha! Either way, good luck with your choice and respond to the school soon please!

What is medical physics?

Medical physics is a branch of science that applies the principles of physics to the field of medicine. It involves the use of various techniques and technologies to diagnose and treat medical conditions.

What are the qualifications required for a career in medical physics?

To pursue a career in medical physics, one typically needs a degree in physics, engineering, or a related field. Many positions also require additional certifications or advanced degrees in medical physics.

What is the role of a medical physicist?

A medical physicist plays a crucial role in the diagnosis and treatment of various medical conditions. They are responsible for ensuring the safe and effective use of radiation and other medical imaging technologies, as well as developing new techniques and technologies for medical imaging and treatment.

What are some of the challenges faced by medical physicists?

Some of the challenges faced by medical physicists include keeping up with rapidly advancing technologies, ensuring patient safety, and finding ways to improve the accuracy and effectiveness of medical imaging and treatment techniques.

How can I prepare for a career in medical physics?

To prepare for a career in medical physics, it is important to have a strong background in physics, mathematics, and computer science. It is also helpful to gain experience through internships or research opportunities in medical physics departments. Additionally, pursuing advanced degrees and obtaining relevant certifications can also be beneficial.