Need help on question Newton's second law

In summary, according to Newton's 2nd law, as the space shuttle burns its fuel, the mass of the shuttle decreases and the force acting on it remains constant. This results in an increase in acceleration for the shuttle. However, the gravitational force is technically not constant and can decrease slightly depending on the distance from Earth. The acceleration is caused by the propulsion of burning fuel, rather than the gravitational force.
phynoob
1.Bsed on Newton's 2nd law,predict what will happen to the spaceshutter's acceleration after a lift as it burns its fuel

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

since fuel is being burnt, thus mass of space shutter is decreasing as fuel is being burnt. force is constant as it is determined by the gravitational force of Earth on space shutter (correct me if I am wrong,but constant i think). thus,acceleration will be increased in the space shutter.

thx for feedbacks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You reasoning is good in that the acceleration is increased because the shuttle is losing mass. What isn't right is the stuff about your forces. Gravitational force is, in fact, technically not constant -- if your craft is going as high as low Earth orbits like the international space station. It actually decreases (slightly... gravitational acceleration g goes from 9.8 to about 9.3 in that distance... graviational force decreases with distange). But in this case, the gravitational force isn't what causes the acceleration. What causes the acceleration is the "tossing away" of the molecules in the exhaust due to burning fuel... it's why you are losing weight in the craft. If you burn fuel at a constant rate, you'll have a more constant thrust force.

This simulation is fun and relates to the topic: http://phet.colorado.edu/simulations/sims.php?sim=Lunar_Lander

hmm..thx for the reply!
anyway,since my question didnt state anything about the forces,i think its ok for me not discuss about the forces.

but for learning sake, so the force that is acting on the space shutter is <9.8 and it is a constant?

am i right?

1. What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law, also known as the law of acceleration, states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to the mass of the object and its acceleration. This can be expressed as the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. How is Newton's second law applied in real life?

Newton's second law is commonly applied in various real-life situations, such as driving a car, throwing a ball, or riding a bike. In each of these cases, the force applied (such as stepping on the gas pedal, throwing the ball, or pedaling the bike) determines the object's acceleration and how it will move.

3. What are some examples of Newton's second law in action?

Some examples of Newton's second law in action include a rocket taking off into space, a person pushing a shopping cart, and a baseball being hit by a bat. In each of these cases, the force applied determines the acceleration and movement of the object.

4. How does Newton's second law relate to the other laws of motion?

Newton's second law is closely related to Newton's first and third laws of motion. Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Newton's second law is used to calculate the acceleration and movement of an object when there is an external force acting on it.

5. What are some common misconceptions about Newton's second law?

One common misconception about Newton's second law is that heavier objects always have a greater acceleration than lighter objects. In reality, the acceleration also depends on the force applied, so a lighter object can have a greater acceleration if a greater force is applied to it. Another misconception is that Newton's second law only applies to objects moving in a straight line, when in fact it can be applied to objects moving in any direction.