1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on working out of a probability problem

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am so confused/lost with this problem because I don't know how to draw it out (table or tree diagram?) I can't figure out how to lay out all the combinations in a simple manner.

Two couples, Mr and Mrs Jones and Mr and Mrs Smith play doubles in tennis. Each time they select the teams by placing all four names in a hat and randomly selecting two names. These two form one team and the remaining two form the other team.
    WHat is the probabality of:
    a)each wife partnering her husband
    b)one male and one female on the team
    c)the two men in one team and the two ladies in the other?

2. Relevant equations
    table, tree diagram

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay, tried drawing a tree diagram but it didn't seem to work because I need groups of 2 teams and when I draw the diagram, there is only 1 team...so it won't work. I'm not sure how can I set the info out so that I can have "groups" of teams, rather than the probablity of picking individual "2 person teams".

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hmm, something must have happened to the "The attempt at the solution" section...

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3
    edited...I tried to explain, hope it makes kind of sense :confused:

5. Jan 21, 2012 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi paperdoll! :smile:

Which possible teams are there?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook