Need help proving a limit using epsilon delta definition.

In other words, if you choose \delta= \epsilon\sqrt{a} you can work backwards to show that if |x- a|< \delta, then |\sqrt{x}- \sqrt{a}|< ... That means that, with that choice of \delta, if you are "close" to a, |\sqrt{x}- \sqrt{a}|< ... or in other words, if you are "close" to a, \sqrt{x} will be "close" to \sqrt{a}.
nickadams
Need help proving lim(x)->(a) sqrt(x)=sqrt(a) using epsilon delta definition.

Homework Statement

Prove that the limit of [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is [itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex] as x approaches a
if a>0

Homework Equations

in words

By the epsilon delta definition we know that the distance between f(x) and the limit of the function will be less than "epsilon" if x is within a certain distance "delta" of a.

in equation form

0<|x-a|<delta
|f(x)-L|<epsilon

The Attempt at a Solution

ok i got messed up with the latex and i don't know how to fix it.

But what I did was multiplied |sqrt(x)-sqrt(a)| by |sqrt(x)+sqrt(a)| over itself to get the top in a form similar to delta. So that comes out to |x-a|/|sqrt(x)+sqrt(a)| is less than epsilon.

so we have |x-a| in both the epsilon and delta inequalities, so is it safe to write delta in terms of epsilon? I don't know what to do now...
?

i'm stuck

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok i got messed up with the latex and i don't know how to fix it.

But what I did was multiplied |sqrt(x)-sqrt(a)| by |sqrt(x)+sqrt(a)| over itself to get the top in a form similar to delta. So that comes out to |x-a|/|sqrt(x)+sqrt(a)| is less than epsilon.

so we have |x-a| in both the epsilon and delta inequalities, so is it safe to write delta in terms of epsilon? I don't know what to do now...

Prove that the limit of √x as x approaches a is √a
if a>0

please help...

Let's fix the Latex problem.
nickadams said:

The Attempt at a Solution

0<|x-a|<[itex]\delta[/itex]
|[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]-[itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex]|<[itex]\epsilon[/itex]

using (a-b)(a+b)=(a[itex]^{2}[/itex]-b[itex]^{2}[/itex]) the above epsilon inequality is changed to...

[itex]\frac{|x-a|}{|\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a}|}<\epsilon[/itex]

now |x-a| is present in both the [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and [itex]\delta[/itex] equations so...?
I fixed the following, too.
|[itex]\delta[/itex]|<[itex]\epsilon\cdot|\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a}|[/itex]

?

i'm stuck

Thank you so much SammyS!

I have made further progress since I last posted and I may be coming to a solution. I will post what I have soon and hopefully I can get the latex right this time.

Ok, I got stuck again. Here is what I have...

0<|x-a|< delta
|[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]-[itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex]| < epsilon

multiply |[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]-[itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex]|
by
|[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]+[itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex]| over itself
to get
|x-a|/[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]+[itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex] < epsilon

Now we need to find a constant C such that
|x-a|/[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]+[itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex] < |x-a|/C < epsilon

Since we want |x-a|, (AKA "delta") to be a pretty small number, we will choose it to be <1

in order for |x-a|/C to be > than |x-a|/[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]+[itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex], C must be smaller than |[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]+[itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex]|

for the next step we will set up the inequality
|x-a|< 1
and try to rearrange it in a way where we can discover what the constant C (which is < than |[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]+[itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex]|) could be set equal to to assist in solving the problem.

solving |x-a|< 1 in terms of x gives us
x < a[itex]\pm[/itex]1

so since we can set up this inequality
C < |[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]+[itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex]| < |sqrt{a[itex]\pm[/itex]1}+sqrt{a}

but now i am stuck. Where have I gone wrong?

You want [itex]|\sqrt{x}- \sqrt{a}|<\epsilon[/itex]. Do NOT "multiply by [itex]\sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a}[/itex] over itself". Instead, multiply both sides by [itex]\sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a}[/itex] (which is obviously positive) to get [itex]|x- a|< \epsilon(\sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a})[/itex]. Since [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is positive, [itex]\sqrt{a}< \sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a}[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon\sqrt{a}< \epsilon(\sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a})[/itex]. You can take [itex]\delta= \epsilon\sqrt{a}[/itex]. That way, if [itex]|x- a|< \delta= \epsilon\sqrt{a}[/itex] you must also have [itex]|x- a|< \epsilon(\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a})[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
You want [itex]|\sqrt{x}- \sqrt{a}|<\epsilon[/itex]. Do NOT "multiply by [itex]\sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a}[/itex] over itself". Instead, multiply both sides by [itex]\sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a}[/itex] (which is obviously positive) to get [itex]|x- a|< \epsilon(\sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a})[/itex]. Since [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is positive, [itex]\sqrt{a}< \sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a}[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon\sqrt{a}< \epsilon(\sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a})[/itex]. You can take [itex]\delta= \epsilon\sqrt{a}[/itex]. That way, if [itex]|x- a|< \delta= \epsilon\sqrt{a}[/itex] you must also have [itex]|x- a|< \epsilon(\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a})[/itex].

Thanks HallsofIvy. Although I can see why every one of your statements is true, I don't understand how it proves the limit as x approaches a of [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is [itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex].

I just don't understand why you did any of the things that you did. :(
Could you (or someone else) maybe help me understand what we were trying to accomplish? I know the problem wants us to prove a limit using the epsilon delta definition of a limit, but I don't understand what that entails, and I certainly wouldn't have known what steps to take if you hadn't shown me...

Edit: Are we able to take [itex]\delta= \epsilon\sqrt{a}[/itex] because we know that [itex]|x- a|< \delta[/itex] and [itex]|x- a|< \epsilon(\sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a})[/itex], and [itex]\epsilon\sqrt{a}< \epsilon(\sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a})[/itex], so since |x-a| is less than [itex]\delta[/itex] and |x-a| and [itex]\epsilon\sqrt{a}[/itex] are both less than [itex]\epsilon(\sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a})[/itex], we are able to set [itex]\delta[/itex] equal to [itex]\epsilon\sqrt{a}[/itex]? But if [itex]\delta[/itex] = [itex]\epsilon\sqrt{a}[/itex], wouldn't that mean that [itex]\epsilon\sqrt{a}[/itex] > |x-a|? And how can we know that?

Last edited:
To prove that "[itex]\lim_{x\to a}f(x)= L[/itex]" means to show that, given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] there exist [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] such that if [itex]|x- a|<\delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x)- L|< \epsilon[/itex].

The point of choosing [itex]\delta= \epsilon\sqrt{a}[/itex] is that you can then work backwards from the way I showed before:
If [itex]|x- a|< \epsilon\sqrt{a}< \epsilon (\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a})[/itex]
then
[tex]\frac{|x- a|}{\sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a}}< \epsilon[/tex]
[tex]\frac{|(\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{a})(\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a})|}{\sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a}}< \epsilon[/tex]
[tex]|\sqrt{x}- \sqrt{a}|< \epsilon[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
To prove that "[itex]\lim_{x\to a}f(x)= L[/itex]" means to show that, given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] there exist [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] such that if [itex]|x- a|<\delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x)- L|< \epsilon[/itex].

The point of choosing [itex]\delta= \epsilon\sqrt{a}[/itex] is that you can then work backwards from the way I showed before:
If [itex]|x- a|< \epsilon\sqrt{a}< \epsilon (\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a})[/itex]
then
[tex]\frac{|x- a|}{\sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a}}< \epsilon[/tex]
[tex]\frac{|(\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{a})(\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{a})|}{\sqrt{x}+ \sqrt{a}}< \epsilon[/tex]
[tex]|\sqrt{x}- \sqrt{a}|< \epsilon[/tex]

Okay that makes sense too. But where do we go from there to prove that the limit of √x is √a as x approaches a if a>0?

Can I say: If we want to be within [tex]|\sqrt{x}- \sqrt{a}|[/tex] of the limit of √x, then we must pick an x value that is within |x-a| of a (AKA delta). So the delta we choose will be equal to [itex]\epsilon[/itex] *[tex]|\sqrt{x}- \sqrt{a}|[/tex]...

now what?

Last edited:
nickadams said:
Okay that makes sense too. But where do we go from there to prove that the limit of √x is √a as x approaches a if a>0?

Can I say: If we want to be within [tex]|\sqrt{x}- \sqrt{a}|[/tex] of the limit of √x, then we must pick an x value that is within |x-a| of a (AKA delta). So the delta we choose will be equal to [itex]\epsilon[/itex] *[tex]|\sqrt{x}- \sqrt{a}|[/tex]...

now what?
What HallsofIvy gave you in post #7 is what is often done on "scratch-paper", working backwards from |f(x) - L| < ε to |x-a| < δε , where δε is some expression for δ which is (usually) based on ε .

In final version of the proof you reverse that backwards argument and clean up any rough spots.
In other words: Using the δε that you found, start with 0 < |x - a| < δε. Then reversing your backwards "scratch-paper" argument, eventually you should arrive at |f(x) - L| < ε .

In your case, HallsofIvy showed you that δε = ε∙√a should give you your desired result.​

1. What is the epsilon delta definition of a limit?

The epsilon delta definition of a limit is a mathematical concept used to formally prove that a function has a particular limit at a specific point. It states that for any positive value of epsilon (ε), there exists a positive value of delta (δ) such that if the distance between the input and the limit point is less than delta, then the distance between the output and the limit is less than epsilon.

2. Why is the epsilon delta definition important?

The epsilon delta definition is important because it provides a rigorous and precise way to prove the existence of a limit. It is also the foundation for many other important concepts in calculus, such as continuity and differentiability.

3. How do you prove a limit using the epsilon delta definition?

To prove a limit using the epsilon delta definition, you must start by assuming the existence of a limit for the given function at a specific point. Then, you must choose a value for epsilon and use it to find a corresponding value for delta. Finally, you must show that for any input value within delta distance of the limit point, the output value will be within epsilon distance of the limit.

4. What are some common challenges when using the epsilon delta definition to prove a limit?

One common challenge when using the epsilon delta definition is choosing the appropriate value for delta. It must be small enough to satisfy the definition, but not so small that it becomes difficult to work with mathematically. Another challenge is understanding how to manipulate the definition to find a suitable delta value.

5. Are there any alternative methods for proving limits?

Yes, there are alternative methods for proving limits, such as using the squeeze theorem or using algebraic manipulation to simplify the function. However, the epsilon delta definition is considered to be the most rigorous and reliable method for proving limits.