Calculating heat transfer and thermal expansion of an aluminium plate in water

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Sl1ver
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I need help at identifying what forumala's to use to calculate the following

(Density of Aluminium 2770kg/m^3
An aluminium plate has a mass of 5kg and a surface area of 2m^2. The temperature of the plate is 450°C. The plate is immersed in a container of water of which the temperature rises from 20°C to 80°C. Only 70% of the heat energy given off by the plate is transferred to the water
Calculate
- Decrease in surface area of plate after being immersed in water
- percentage change in area due to temperature change
- heat transferred to water
- mass of the water

I have been going through the examples in the book and i just don't see how I will work it out. It seems I need a coefficient of linear expansion and coefficient of area expansion
but I just get 0 both times.

need to be pointed in the right direction to solve the problem as in formulas that would need to be used.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sl1ver! :smile:
Sl1ver said:
I have been going through the examples in the book and i just don't see how I will work it out. It seems I need a coefficient of linear expansion and coefficient of area expansion
but I just get 0 both times.

mmm :confused:

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:​
 
coefficient of area = A1 -A2/A1(t2-t1)
=2m^2-2m^2/2m^2(80°C-20°)
=0/120
=0

and coefficient of linear expansion
using a as i can't find the proper symbol

2a = B
b=2/a
and then end up with zero as well.

so I can't see how zero and zero will help me
 
Sl1ver said:
It seems I need a coefficient of linear expansion and coefficient of area expansion

ah, yes …

i think you'll need to look those up in a table :smile: