Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help understanding this thermo. derivation

1. Apr 6, 2013 #1
    Im trying to understand this concept of deriving an expression for ([itex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial P}[/itex])s in terms of T, V, Cp, [itex]\alpha[/itex], and [itex]\kappa[/itex]T

([itex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial P}[/itex])s is evaluated by measuring the temperature change and the specific volume change accompanying a small pressure change in a reversible adiabatic process.

I attached the derivation that the book does, but I cannot follow it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2013 #2
    There are a lot of steps in that simple looking derivation. Where are you lost?

4. Apr 7, 2013 #3

Philip Wood

Gold Member

Don't understand the notation in your thumbnail, but append my derivation, expressed in ordinary partial derivative notation.

Attached Files:

5. Apr 7, 2013 #4
    Thanks dude, I was getting lost with the notation as well. This helps out big time.. Not sure what the book was doing lol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook