Need help understanding vector equations (very basic)

• Thread starter astonmartin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, r(t) represents the parametric equation for the line passing through point P1 (x, y) in the direction of vector v <v1, v2>. As t varies and adds multiples of v, the line travels through different points, but it still has the same direction and starting point. Therefore, there is only one line that fits this equation.
astonmartin
If I wanted to find a vector equation for a line that passes through point P1 (x, y) in the direction of vector v <v1, v2>, I would use the equation: r(t) = P1 + t*v

My question is, r(t) is not actually the line that passes through point P1 with "slope" v, is it? Doesn't r(t) [a position vector] represent many different lines that pass through the origin and some point on the line we are trying to find?

In fact, the only time r(t) actually passes through P1 would be when t = 0, right? So we haven't really found an equation for the line P1 (x, y) in the direction of vector v <v1, v2>...have we?

Physics news on Phys.org
r(t) is the parametric representation of the line that passes through point P1 in the direction of the vector v. As t varies you add multiples of the vector v to the line. Since the line travels through a defined point with specific direction there is only one of them.

I can understand your confusion about vector equations. Let me try to clarify the concept for you.

Firstly, the vector equation r(t) = P1 + t*v represents a line passing through point P1 in the direction of vector v. This equation does not represent all the lines passing through point P1, but only the specific line in the direction of vector v. Think of it as a specific path or trajectory that starts at point P1 and follows the direction of vector v.

Secondly, you are correct in saying that r(t) only passes through point P1 when t = 0. But this does not mean that the equation is not valid. It simply means that at that specific point, the position vector (r(t)) has the same coordinates as the point P1. As t increases, the position vector will move along the direction of vector v, giving us different points on the line.

So, in summary, the vector equation r(t) = P1 + t*v does represent a line passing through point P1 in the direction of vector v. It is important to note that this equation is not the only way to represent a line, but it is a useful tool in understanding the direction and trajectory of a line in vector form.

I hope this helps in your understanding of vector equations. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

1. What is a vector equation?

A vector equation is an equation that uses vectors to represent quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It is typically written in the form of a + b = c, where a and b are vectors, and c is a constant.

2. How is a vector equation different from a scalar equation?

A scalar equation only involves quantities that have magnitude, while a vector equation involves both magnitude and direction. In a scalar equation, all variables are represented by numbers, while in a vector equation, variables are represented by vectors.

3. What do the terms "magnitude" and "direction" mean in a vector equation?

Magnitude refers to the size or length of a vector, while direction refers to the angle at which the vector is pointing. In a vector equation, the magnitude and direction of each vector are important in determining the overall solution.

4. How do I solve a vector equation?

To solve a vector equation, you must first identify the unknown vectors and their corresponding magnitudes and directions. Then, you can use algebraic or geometric methods to manipulate the equation and find the values of the unknown vectors that satisfy the equation.

5. What are some real-life applications of vector equations?

Vector equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to model and solve problems involving forces, velocities, and other physical quantities. They are also used in computer graphics to represent and manipulate images and animations.