Need help w/ understanding electric potential

In summary: A-Circles.cfmIn summary, the potential energy of an electron at two different points in space is different due to the gravitational pull of the objects.
teetar

Homework Statement

An electron moves from a point in space where the potential is 100 V to another point where the potential is 200 V. If it started from rest, what is its speed at the end of the trip?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure what's relevant and what's irrelevant at this point.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this had something to do with energy, found potential energy at 100 V to be 100 * 1.6E-19, but that doesn't seem to lead me in the right direction. I'm very confused with electric potential in general at the moment, can anyone suggest any resources that will explain it in such a way that even I can understand it?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
teetar said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this had something to do with energy, found potential energy at 100 V to be 100 * 1.6E-19
You are on the correct track apart from two things.
1. The electron charge is negative, not positive.
2. You should always (always) write out the units. Saying the energy is a number without giving the units is meaningless.

Orodruin said:
You are on the correct track apart from two things.
1. The electron charge is negative, not positive.
2. You should always (always) write out the units. Saying the energy is a number without giving the units is meaningless.

Thanks, I was able to figure it out! Once I recalled electrons were negative (maybe I shouldn't be doing this so late at night) the numbers made significantly more sense. I wrote up my original post a little hastily, but I do typically put in units. I was able to solve it using total energy calculated from its position at rest, and finding what the kinetic energy must have been given potential energy at the 200 V point in space. I was able to do the math, but I still need to spend a lot more time on the concept.

Thanks for your help!

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit of charge at a given point in an electric field. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy of a charged particle at a given point, while electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force per unit of charge acting on a charged particle at a given point.

3. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field?

The electric field is directly related to the gradient of electric potential. In other words, the electric field points in the direction of decreasing electric potential. This relationship is described by the equation E = -∇V, where E is the electric field, V is the electric potential, and ∇ is the gradient operator.

4. How does distance affect electric potential?

Electric potential decreases as distance from a source charge increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, causing the potential energy per unit of charge to decrease as well. This is described by the inverse square law, which states that electric potential is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

5. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of potential energy per unit of charge at a given point, while electric potential energy is the potential energy of a charged particle at a specific location in an electric field. In other words, electric potential energy is the potential energy of a charged particle due to its position in an electric field, while electric potential is the potential energy per unit of charge at a given point in the electric field.