1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with 4th order differential equation

1. Jul 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

y^(4)+y=0

2. Relevant equations

Need to use de Moivre's formula to obtain answer.

3. The attempt at a solution.

I can obtain the characteristic equation r^4=-1. From there I tried saying y_1 = cosx and y_2=sinx. However, my book has the answer listed as y= [e^(√(2)x/2)(cos(√(2)/2)x+sin(√(2)/2)x)]+[e^-(√(2)x/2)(cos(√(2)/2)x+sin(√(2)/2)x)]. I am unsure how they obtained this answer. When I asked my teacher he said I had to use the de Moivre formula, but I am unsure how to apply this. PLEASE HELP!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

How did you go from r4=-1 to sines and cosines? What are the roots of the characteristic equation?

4. Jul 20, 2012 #3
    I said r^2(r^2)=0 so I took the first root to be (0+i) and the second to be (0-i), from there I can say y=e^(0)(Ccosx+C'sinx). I was unsure how to get the other two roots from there. Tried reduction of order saying that if y_1=cosx then v_1y_1=y_3 but this does not give the answer in the book.

5. Jul 20, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You need to solve for r. You've only gotten to ##r^2 = \pm i## so far.

6. Jul 20, 2012 #5
    I know, I only knew how to solve for the two of them. I tried to find the other two using the reduction of order method and was unable to get the answer the book said.

7. Jul 20, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You haven't solved for any of them yet.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  8. Jul 20, 2012 #7
    That's what you need to do then. You have the equation, and I'll use z:

[tex]z^4=-1[/tex]

or:

[tex]z=\sqrt[4]{-1}[/tex]

and de Moivre's formula allows you to solve for the four roots using the expression:

[tex]z=|r|^{1/4}e^{i/4(\theta+2n\pi)}[/tex]

but I think though you may not know how to apply it. r is the absolute value of -1 or just 1 right. Theta is the argument of -1. Well, that's just pi. And n goes from 0 to 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook