1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What variables need to be considered in slingshots?

1. Jul 2, 2015 #1
    Say I have a basic slingshot (like an elastic band attached to a 'Y' shaped stick), what variables do I need to consider when calculating its ability to launch an object into the air?

So for example, say I load a mass, m, into a slingshot, pull the elastic band back x metres, and then release it, and the object flies off at an initial velocity of 'u' m/s. How can I determine if the slingshot can launch an object of a larger mass?

Do I need to know:
    The mass of the initial object?
    The 'spring constant' of the sling shot? (and if so, how do I find it?)
    The projectile range of the initial object?

Is there more that I need to consider here?

(My little brother asked me if his homemade giant-slingshot could launch a human. I said that it probably wouldn't, but I'd like to work it out purely out of curiosity haha)

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2015 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have a little brother, a giant-slingshot ... physics is an experimental science. But seriously, use a sand bag with the mass of a human.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook