What variables need to be considered in slingshots?

• Thread starter Wroen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, when calculating the ability of a basic slingshot to launch an object, you need to consider the mass of the initial object, the 'spring constant' of the slingshot, and the projectile range of the initial object. In order to determine if the slingshot can launch a larger mass, you can use a sand bag with the mass of a human as a test object.
Wroen
Say I have a basic slingshot (like an elastic band attached to a 'Y' shaped stick), what variables do I need to consider when calculating its ability to launch an object into the air?

So for example, say I load a mass, m, into a slingshot, pull the elastic band back x metres, and then release it, and the object flies off at an initial velocity of 'u' m/s. How can I determine if the slingshot can launch an object of a larger mass?

Do I need to know:
The mass of the initial object?
The 'spring constant' of the sling shot? (and if so, how do I find it?)
The projectile range of the initial object?

Is there more that I need to consider here?

(My little brother asked me if his homemade giant-slingshot could launch a human. I said that it probably wouldn't, but I'd like to work it out purely out of curiosity haha)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Wroen said:
My little brother asked me if his homemade giant-slingshot could launch a human.
You have a little brother, a giant-slingshot ... physics is an experimental science. But seriously, use a sand bag with the mass of a human.

What are the most important factors to consider when making a slingshot?

Some important variables to consider when making a slingshot include the design and material of the frame, the type and strength of the rubber bands or strings, the weight and shape of the projectile, and the angle and force used to launch the projectile.

How does the design of a slingshot affect its performance?

The design of a slingshot can greatly impact its performance. Factors such as the length and width of the frame, the position and shape of the handle, and the placement of the rubber bands can all affect the accuracy, power, and distance of the projectile.

What type of rubber bands or strings are best for slingshots?

The type and strength of rubber bands or strings used in a slingshot can vary depending on personal preference and the intended use of the slingshot. Thicker and stronger rubber bands can provide more power, while thinner and more elastic ones can offer better accuracy. Some common types of rubber bands used in slingshots include surgical tubing, Thera-Band, and flat rubber bands.

What is the ideal weight and shape for a projectile in a slingshot?

The ideal weight and shape of a projectile in a slingshot can also depend on individual preferences and the intended use. Generally, a heavier projectile can provide more power and distance, while a lighter one can offer better accuracy. The shape of the projectile can also play a role in its aerodynamics and can affect its trajectory.

How should the angle and force be adjusted when using a slingshot?

The angle and force used to launch a projectile in a slingshot can greatly impact its trajectory and distance. Generally, a lower angle and higher force can result in a longer distance, while a higher angle and lower force can provide better accuracy. These variables can also be adjusted based on the weight and shape of the projectile and the distance of the target.