Need help with Differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a second-order differential equation with constant coefficients using the characteristic equation and finding the general solution, as well as using the product rule for derivatives.
James889
Hi, i would like some help with his one

I have
[tex]\left\{\begin{aligned}y^{\prime\prime}+10y^{\prime}+25y = 0 \\
y(1) = 0 \\
y^{\prime}(1) = 2\end{aligned} [/tex]

So the first part is simple

The general solution is on the form
[tex]-5\pm\frac{\sqrt{10^2-4\cdot25}}{2}[/tex]

it's a double root
So we have
[tex] y = Ae^{-5t}+Bte^{-5t}[/tex]

And
[tex]y^{\prime} = -5Ae^{-5t} -5Bte^{-5t}[/tex]

[tex]-5e^{-5t}(A+Bt)[/tex]
And since t = 1

[tex]A=e^5~~ B=-e^5[/tex] works for the first condition but not for the second.

Hm, how do you do this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you need to differentiate the GS and plug y=1 into it.
y'=B.exp(-5t) - 5(A+Bt).exp(-5t)
Since A+B=0,y'(1)=B.exp(-5)=2
so B=2.exp(5) and A=-2.exp(5)

Last edited:
longrob said:
you need to differentiate the GS and plug y=1 into it.
y'=B.exp(-5t) - 5(A+Bt).exp(-5t)
Since A+B=0,y'(1)=B.exp(-5)=2
so B=2.exp(5) and A=-2.exp(5)

Huh?

Are you sure?

Isn't the derivative of [tex]y = Ae^{-5t}+Bte^{-5t} \rightarrow y^{\prime} = -5Ae^{-5t}-5Bte^{-5t} ? [/tex]

Two words: product rule.

Check your expression for [tex]y'[/tex].

James889 said:
Huh?

Are you sure?

Pretty sure...

Isn't the derivative of [tex]y = Ae^{-5t}+Bte^{-5t} \rightarrow y^{\prime} = -5Ae^{-5t}-5Bte^{-5t} ? [/tex]

No, the derivative of A.exp(-5t) is -5A.exp(-5t) and the derivative of Bt.exp(-5t) is -5Bt.exp(-5t) + B.exp(-5t)

ok, thanks.
Sigh... i must be the worst math student ever...

Cheer up :) It's an easy mistake to make. The main point is that you got the main method right. If I had a pound for the number of times I've made mistakes like that I'd be very rich ! See my thread on implicit differentiation if you want a laugh !

Your problem was that you didn't use the product rule on [itex]te^{-5t}[/itex].

Hey,

I'm going to use this thread, because I was checking it out (studying differential equations too) and I didn't quite understand what he did in the beginning, how James got to those 2 equations about y and y'.

The way I would have done this is set p = y', therefore p' = dp/dx = p·dp/dy and then it becomes dp/dy + 10 = -25·y·p-1 which is a Bernouilli equation.

Thanks for your help too!

springo said:
Hey,

I'm going to use this thread, because I was checking it out (studying differential equations too) and I didn't quite understand what he did in the beginning, how James got to those 2 equations about y and y'.

James' equation for y is just the (explicit) general solution which follows from the solution of the characteristic equation (repeated real root). His equation for y' should have just been the derivative but he forgot to use the product rule for the term involving the constant B.

The way I would have done this is set p = y', therefore p' = dp/dx = p·dp/dy and then it becomes dp/dy + 10 = -25·y·p-1 which is a Bernouilli equation.

Thanks for your help too!

Sorry, but I don't follow...

Last edited:
When you have a linear differential equation with constant coefficients, you can take advantage of the fact that the exponential function is the eigenfunction of the derivative operator, D:

[tex]D e^{rx} = r e^{kx}[/tex]

You assume a solution of the form [tex]y=e^{rx}[/tex], substitute it into the differential equation, and solve for [tex]r[/tex]. In this particular case, you'd get

[tex](r^2+10r+25)e^{rx}=0[/tex].

Since the exponential is never zero, the polynomial factor in front must be zero. If you get two distinct roots, [tex]r_1[/tex] and [tex]r_2[/tex], you have your two linearly independent solutions, [tex]y_1 = e^{r_1 x}[/tex] and [tex]y_2 = e^{r_2 x}[/tex], for this second-order differential equation. In this case, however, there was a repeated root. To get the second independent solution, you have to multiply by [tex]t[/tex], so [tex]y_2 = te^{rx}[/tex], and the general solution would be [tex]y=A e^{rx} + B te^{rx}[/tex].

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena and find solutions to problems related to rates of change.

2. How do I solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. It is important to understand the problem and choose the appropriate method for solving it.

3. Can differential equations be used in real-world applications?

Yes, differential equations are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and analyze various systems and help predict future behavior.

4. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations (ODEs) involve a single independent variable and its derivatives, while partial differential equations (PDEs) involve multiple independent variables and their derivatives. ODEs are used to model many physical systems, while PDEs are commonly used in fields such as fluid mechanics and electromagnetism.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in calculus to understand differential equations?

A basic understanding of calculus is necessary to understand differential equations, as they involve derivatives and integrals. However, with practice and guidance, anyone can learn to solve and understand differential equations effectively.