1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with expectation value !

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a random, uniformly distributed vector with Cartesian components x,y,z. I should calculate the expectation value of the products of the components, e.g. [tex]<x\cdot x>, <x\cdot y>, ..., <z\cdot z>[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

In spherical coordinates the [tex] x,y,z[/tex] components are

[tex]x = \sin(\theta)\cdot\cos(\phi)[/tex]
    [tex]y= \sin(\theta)\cdot\sin(\phi)[/tex]
    [tex]z = \cos(\theta)[/tex]

[tex]<x\cdot x> =\int f(x)\cdot x^2 dx = const.\times \int x^2 dx[/tex],
    because the probability density function is constant of the uniform probability distribution.

3. The attempt at a solution

I think it is useful to convert the Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates. So for example

[tex]<x\cdot x> = \int_{0}^{\pi}d\theta\int_{0}^{2\pi}d\phi~~[\sin(\theta)\cdot\cos(\phi)]^{2}[/tex]

I wrote a program for this, and the solution is:

[tex]<x\cdot x> = <y\cdot y> = <z\cdot z> = \frac{1}{3}[/tex]
    and the other terms are zero.

But the solution of the above integral is not 1/3.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2008 #2
    You dont need to convert to spherical coordinates, the limit you're assuming is from 0 to 1 on all three axes. And the value of the integral IS 1/3, but you've forgotten to multiply by f(x).

I dont know if youre calculating the same expectation value, but in QM, [tex]<f>=\int_{a}^{b}f(r)*f'*f(r)'dr[/tex],

where f' is the operator, f(r) is the function (physical quantity), and f(r)' is its conjugate. If f is real only, then f(r)=f(r)' and the integral becomes,

[tex]f(r)^2\int_{a}^{b}f'dr[/tex]

If that is what you were trying to calculate, then you missed out by a factor of [tex]f(x)^2[/tex]. Also, [tex]\theta[/tex] is a constant, not a variable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?