Need help with finding thermal and Kinetic energy

In summary: It is possible to do it that way - just introduce an unknown m for the mass and watch it disappear later when you simplify the equations.In summary, the hand pushes the block with 6.1 N to the right across a rough surface, with 1.5 N of friction. The block moves 1.6 m horizontally. The work done by the hand is 9.76 N, the work done by friction is 2.4 N, and the amount of thermal energy created is 3.
Sherlock01

Homework Statement

A block starts at rest. A hand pushes the block with 6.1 N to the right across a rough surface, with 1.5 N of friction. if the block moves 1.6 m horizontally determine the following (a) work done by hand (b) work done by friction (c) the amount of thermal energy created (d) the amount of kinetic energy created?

Homework Equations

W= F x D
work by force = F x D

The Attempt at a Solution

6.1 x 1.6 = 9.76
1.5 x 1.6 = -2.4[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Sherlock01 said:
3. The Attempt at a Solution
Per forum rules, you must show some attempt.

haruspex said:
Per forum rules, you must show some attempt.
i added what i have so far can u help me solve the rest please

Sherlock01 said:
i added what i have so far

What do you think the two things you added represent?

PeterDonis said:
What do you think the two things you added represent?
the 2 things i added are the answers to the first two parts of the question for what is the work done by friction and just work done overall

Further to PeterDonis' question:
Always show units and make it clear which question you are answering and what you are calculating.
The second equation you added is clearly wrong because you left something out on the left hand side.

haruspex said:
Further to PeterDonis' question:
Always show units and make it clear which question you are answering and what you are calculating.
The second equation you added is clearly wrong because you left something out on the left hand side.
um i know that the answer is right because this is on a web assign that my teacher assigned i understand i left the negatives out but i just add the negative into the final answer rather than thinking about the negative prior to that

Sherlock01 said:
work done overall
You mean, work done by the hand. It is not clear what "work done overall" would mean.

So how about c)? Where does the thermal energy come from?

Sherlock01 said:
um i know that the answer is right because this is on a web assign that my teacher assigned i understand i left the negatives out but i just add the negative into the final answer rather than thinking about the negative prior to that
however i would like assistance with the second half of the problem that would be awesome because that is the only part I am confused on

Sherlock01 said:
however i would like assistance with the second half of the problem that would be awesome because that is the only part I am confused on
ahhh oh yes that was my bad sry

Sherlock01 said:
well i know thermal energy is based off of the friction

Sherlock01 said:
It is worth being more rigorous. It might not always be obvious what the sign of the answer should be.
The minus sign on the right should result from one on the left. Why should there be a minus sign on the left?
Sherlock01 said:
well i know thermal energy is based off of the friction
Right, so what does that imply for the answer to c?

Sherlock01 said:
This is rather confusing. You seem to be clicking on the wrong Reply buttons, so you end up "replying" to one of your own posts instead of the one you are really responding to.

haruspex said:
This is rather confusing. You seem to be clicking on the wrong Reply buttons, so you end up "replying" to one of your own posts instead of the one you are really responding to.
sorry i figured out C tho i realized that its relative to friction work done the answer is 2.4

now were on to d) which I am still confused i would usually do 1/2 x m x v^2

Sherlock01 said:
sorry i figured out C tho i realized that its relative to friction work done the answer is 2.4
That leaves d). Any thoughts?

however in this problem i do not have a mass to use

haruspex said:
That leaves d). Any thoughts?
well it probably has something to do with that equation from before but it must have to do with distance and force

Sherlock01 said:
on to d) which I am still confused i would usually do 1/2 x m x v^2, however in this problem i do not have a mass to use
It is possible to do it that way - just introduce an unknown m for the mass and watch it disappear later when you simplify the equations.
But there is an easier way. Of the work done by the hand, what are all the places it can go?

haruspex said:
It is possible to do it that way - just introduce an unknown m for the mass and watch it disappear later when you simplify the equations.
But there is an easier way. Of the work done by the hand, what are all the places it can go?
well the work done by the hand must become thermal energy because of the presence of friction so it must transfer into the surface its sliding acrossed

Sherlock01 said:
well the work done by the hand must become thermal energy because of the presence of friction so it must transfer into the surface its sliding acrossed
You have calculated the work done by the hand and the work done by friction, and they do not add to zero. Where has the rest gone?

1. What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is the energy that a substance or system has due to the movement of its particles. It is a form of kinetic energy that is associated with the random motion of particles at the microscopic level.

2. How is thermal energy different from kinetic energy?

Thermal energy and kinetic energy are both forms of energy, but they are different in terms of their origin. Thermal energy is the energy that comes from the movement of particles, while kinetic energy is the energy of an object in motion.

3. How can I calculate thermal energy?

The formula for calculating thermal energy is Q = mcΔT, where Q is the thermal energy, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity of the substance, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. What are some examples of thermal energy?

Some common examples of thermal energy include the heat from a fire, the warmth of the sun, and the heat produced by a person's body. Other examples include the heat from a hot cup of coffee, a heated stove, and a toaster.

5. How is thermal energy used in everyday life?

Thermal energy is used in a variety of ways in our daily lives. It is used to heat our homes and buildings, cook our food, and power our vehicles. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as generating electricity and manufacturing products.