Need help with generating a uniform weak magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a new bio reactor that requires a 0.01T magnetic field to be applied across the volume of the tank. The individual is seeking advice on how to achieve this at a reasonable cost and is directed towards using Helmholtz coils. The person is grateful for the helpful response and impressed with the quick answer.
Howard Bell
Hi, I'm developing a new bio reactor, which in this instance you can think of as just a perspex fish tank. But have come across an unusual requirement to apply a roughly 0.01T magnetic field across the volume of the tank with mainly water in it. No position in the tank can be less than 0.08T and no position higher than 0.012T

Any ideas how I might go about achieving this at a reasonable cost?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Brilliant, just what I needed. Many thanks, my first post and a useful answer straight off the bat, very impressed.

Likes PietKuip

1. How do I generate a uniform weak magnetic field?

To generate a uniform weak magnetic field, you can use a Helmholtz coil setup. This involves two identical coils placed parallel to each other with a certain distance between them, and a current passing through them in the same direction. The resulting magnetic field between the coils will be relatively uniform and weak.

2. What materials do I need to generate a uniform weak magnetic field?

You will need two identical coils, a power supply, and a current source. The coils can be made of copper wire and the power supply can be a battery or a variable power supply. The current source can be a resistor or a voltage regulator.

3. What is the strength of a uniform weak magnetic field?

The strength of a uniform weak magnetic field can vary depending on the setup and materials used. However, it is typically in the range of a few millitesla (mT) to a few tesla (T).

4. How do I measure the uniformity of a weak magnetic field?

The uniformity of a weak magnetic field can be measured using a magnetometer or a gaussmeter. These devices can detect the strength and direction of the magnetic field at different points within the field, allowing you to determine its uniformity.

5. What are some common applications of a uniform weak magnetic field?

A uniform weak magnetic field has various applications in scientific research, such as in experiments involving magnetic materials, magnetism in living organisms, and testing the effects of weak magnetic fields on human health. It is also used in industries such as material processing, medical imaging, and particle accelerators.