Calculating Electric Field in Water-Filled Container: What is the Best Method?

  • Thread starter Thread starter LuGoBi
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
LuGoBi
This is killing me. I have an electrical charge in the air and below it I have a container filled with water. How do I calculate the electric field generated by the charge on the bottom of the cointainer? Bear in mind the electrostatic constant in water is different than from air.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the surface of the water is like an infinite plane, this is a standard image problem treated in most textbooks.
 
pam said:
Assuming the surface of the water is like an infinite plane, this is a standard image problem treated in most textbooks.

Could you ellaborate, then?
 
I can't go through the whole method of images.
You may have to look at a book.
 
Excuses me, pam (or others), but doesn't the method of images require that the boundary region be a (grounded) perfect conductor?

Treating the problem in a brute-force manner (Gauss' Law, Cartesian coordinates), this doesn't sound TOO bad. You just need to invoke some pretty clever trigonometry to account for the surface of the water.