1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with gradient question.

1. Jun 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have been able to solve all the gradient problems when you are given the starting point, and the actual function. But I am getting caught up on this one which goes in reverse

Suppose that the maximum rate of change of f at (1,-1) is 25 and it occurs in the direction of 3i ⃗-4j ⃗

b) Find ∇f at (1,-1). c) Find [itex] f_x [/itex](1,-1). d) Find [itex]f_y (1,-1) [/itex].

2. Relevant equations

Well I know that [itex]∇f* u = |∇f| [/itex]
    and I think we know that [itex] f_x^2 + f_y^2 = |∇f^2| [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Thus I set up the system of equations and solved the quadratic which resulted. However this seemed wrong to me, and I wanted to double check that what I attempted here was correct. Also it seemed like this question should have an easier way to come about a solution. Any guidance would be appreciated

Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2012 #2
    How about if you scale the vector (3,-4) to have length 25?

Hint: what is it's length right now?

(Details: the gradient at a point, points in the direction of steepest change, and it's length is the rate of change of f if we head a unit in that direction. Thus this is the magnitude and direction. It should be easy to find the x and y components of your gradient.)

4. Jun 3, 2012 #3
    Thanks I got it now. Jeez that was easy like I knew it was. I think I was having a brainfart earlier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook