1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help With Guass Laws and Amperes Law

1. Dec 30, 2007 #1
    Hi, I am really stuck with these problems, is it possible you guys can help me out, by guiding me along this problem, I wil write the entire thing out, but would appreciate it if you guys help me step by step so that I can understand it, since I am having a VERY hard time with these problems.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A point charge (+q) is located at the origin. A spherical conductor of inner radius "a" and outer radius "b" surrounds this point charge with its center at the origin. A total charge of =2q lies on this spherical conductor.
    {I put the diagram as an attachment}

a) Find the magnitude of the electric field in region I, at a distance r<a away from the origin. Label on the diagram some E field line within this region, if necessary. [Hint: Use Guass Laws]

b) Find the magnitude of the electric field in region II, at a distance r>1 (but <b), from the origin. Again label on the diagram some E fields if necessary.

c) Find the magnitude of the electric field in region III, at a distance r>b from teh origin. Again label on the diagram E field lines if necesary.

Consider 2 different designs for a printer cable. Design 1 has 4 cables each carrying a current I into the page. Design 2 has 4 cables all carrying current magnitude I but two have the current in one direction and two have in the opposite direction.

d) Find the magnetic field at a distance r. (in the plane which is perpendicular to the wires), away from cable 1 by using Ampere's Law.

e) Find the magnetic field a distance r away from cable 2 by using AMpere's LAw.

f) Which design is better, why?

2. Relevant equations

Guass Law;
    [tex]\Sigma[/tex] Eperp * delta A = Qenclosed / [tex]\epsilon[/tex]0

Ampere's Law;
    [tex]\Sigma[/tex] Bparallel * delta l = [tex]\mu[/tex]0 * Ienclosed

3. The attempt at a solution

Again, thank you for the help here.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2007 #2
    Ok, I 've been working on it and well, I got to this point, but am not too sure.

a) sigma E perpendicular delta A = E * sigma delta A = E(4*pi*r^2) = Q / epsilon

So wouldn't the charge in section I be +q / epsilon?

c) sigma E perpendicular to delta A = E * sigma A = E * (4 pi r^2) = Q / epsilon

so E = 1 / [4 pi r^2] * Q / b

so, doesn't this tell us that the field outside the uniformly charged spherical shell is the same as if all the charge were concentrated at the center as a point charge??

So that would mean that it is -2q?
    I am not too sure

4. Dec 30, 2007 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The charge contained within that surface is given as +q. So solve for E.

That's correct. (The formula has a typo: You have b instead of epsilon.)

What's the total charge within the Gaussian surface when r > b?

5. Dec 30, 2007 #4
    The total charge is + q?

Can we go over this a bit more? I am really feeling lost right now.

6. Dec 30, 2007 #5

Doc Al

To find the total charge within a surface with r > b, just add the charge at the center (+q) to the charge on the conductor. (What's the charge on the conductor?)

7. Dec 30, 2007 #6
    The charge on the conductor is -2q, so +q + -2q will be -q so that is the charge in region I?

8. Dec 30, 2007 #7

Doc Al

No, that's the charge within a sphere of radius r > b. Region I is within r < a; the only charge in that region is the center charge of +q.

Note: The regions are for the purpose of defining the field. For finding the charge, use a Gaussian sphere of the appropriate radius, counting all the charge within that radius.

9. Dec 30, 2007 #8
    Ohh, ok, I think I understand now, so for region II the charge would be -2q since that is the charge of the conductor

10. Dec 30, 2007 #9

Doc Al

Careful here: What's the field in region II? (Hint: What's the field within a conductor?)

While the total charge on the conductor is -2q, where is that charge located? What's the charge on its inner surface? Its outer surface?

11. Dec 30, 2007 #10
    The E field in a conductor is zero right?

12. Dec 30, 2007 #11

Doc Al

Exactly. So part (b) is easy.

13. Dec 30, 2007 #12
    Wow, thank you so much!!

14. Dec 30, 2007 #13

Doc Al

Just to prove to yourself that you fully understand it, try to answer my other questions in post #9. (Use Gauss's law.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?