1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with inverse laplace transformation

1. Nov 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am so lost on this problem. I have tried it several times and just keep confusing myself. I think that I am messing up jsut setting up the problem. Can someone please help me out? How do I get this into partial fraction and then where do I go from there.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2008 #2
    Hi Karmel,

Assuming you want to take the inverse Laplace transform of F(s) = (s^3+6s^2-18s+13)/(s(s+1)(s^2-4s+13)), the first step is to decompose it into partial fractions, which I'm sure you would have come across before. There are three such partial fractions, of the form A/s, B/(s+1) and (Cs+D)/(s^2-4s+13), with A, B, C and D constants to be determined.

Show us your work so we know where you're getting stuck.
  4. Nov 30, 2008 #3
    I would love to show my work but after I set it up like showed to me above with the partial fraction I dont know what to do. The book I am using is so unclear on partial fractions. What are the steps?
  5. Dec 1, 2008 #4
    so after doing the partial fractions if I am doing it right I get teh final answer to be

I really hope that is right cause I have tried it a thousand ways and Iam getting no where....
  6. Dec 2, 2008 #5

Homework Helper

You can check your answer using this online calculator:

I don't know if that link would expire over time, but if it does, just head to the main page and look for the online Fourier-Laplace calculator. Apart from that I'm kind of lazy to work it out.
  7. Jan 8, 2010 #6
  8. Jan 9, 2010 #7
  9. Jan 9, 2010 #8
  10. Dec 12, 2010 #9
    can anyone help with this
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?