Inverse laplace transform (polynomial division? Complex roots?)

In summary, the problem is to find the inverse Laplace transform of F(s) = (4s-5)/(s^2-4s+8), with the option to use s shifting. After attempting to factor the denominator and completing the square, it was realized that the denominator has complex roots. The suggested approach is to write the transform in the form (4s-5)/((s-a)^2 + b^2) and use the properties listed in the Laplace transform table to find the inverse transform. However, the value of a is still unclear and further exploration is needed to find a complete solution.
Mutaja

Homework Statement

Decide the inverse laplace transform of the problem below:

F(s)= [itex]\frac{4s-5}{s^2-4s+8}[/itex]

You're allowed to use s shifting.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

By looking at the denominator, I see that it might be factorized easily, so I try that.

I end up struggling and realizing that it's a complex root. Complex roots and inverse laplace transform isn't something we've learned yet, but I'm keen to solve this problem regardless.

So the denominator can be written like this:

##s^2 - 4s +8 = 2+/- 2i##

Looking at my laplace transform table, I can't recognize the pattern to try solving this.

Can I use polynomial division?

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mutaja said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

By looking at the denominator, I see that it might be factorized easily, so I try that.

I end up struggling and realizing that it's a complex root. Complex roots and inverse laplace transform isn't something we've learned yet, but I'm keen to solve this problem regardless.

Looking at my laplace transform table, I can't recognize the pattern to try solving this.

I'm not sure what this means:

Are you saying that s^2 - 4s + 8 factors into (s - (2 + 2i)) and (s - (2 - 2i)) or what?

Have you tried completing the square of the denominator? This may help to avoid complex factors.

Mutaja said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

When you factor the denominator you can write ##F(s) = (4s-5)/(s^2 - 4s + 8)## in partial fraction form. What is that form in your case? From there, you need only know how to find the inverse transform of ##g(s) = 1/(s-a)##, and the same formula applies whether ##a## is real or complex.

Last edited:
SteamKing said:
I'm not sure what this means:

Are you saying that s^2 - 4s + 8 factors into (s - (2 + 2i)) and (s - (2 - 2i)) or what?
A friend of mine used a rather advanced calculator and got that as an answer, yes.
SteamKing said:
Have you tried completing the square of the denominator? This may help to avoid complex factors.
I tried that, but it leaves me with no answer. Using the ABC-rule, the square root turns negative so that makes sense with the answer from the aforementioned calculator.

Ray Vickson said:
When you factor the denominator you can write ##F(s) = (4s-5)/(s^2 - 4s + 8)## in partial fraction form. What is that form in your case? From there, you need only know how to find the inverse transform of ##g(s) = 1/(s-a)##, and the same formula applies whether ##a## is real or complex.

Can the form be the following:

[itex]\frac{4s-5}{s^2-4s+8}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{2+\frac{3i}{4}}{(s-(2+2i))}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{2+\frac{3i}{4}}{(s-(2-2i))}[/itex]?

Hey, I'm beginning to see a pattern here :D Thank you.

If my above work make any kind of sense, I'll be attempting to solve this problem even with complex numbers. This is so fun!

Mutaja said:
A friend of mine used a rather advanced calculator and got that as an answer, yes.
The point is that you shouldn't write ##s^2-4s+8 = 2\pm 2i## if what you mean is ##s^2-4s+8 = (s-(2+2i))(s-(2-2i))##.

I tried that, but it leaves me with no answer. Using the ABC-rule, the square root turns negative so that makes sense with the answer from the aforementioned calculator.
SteamKing is suggesting you write the transform in the form
$$\frac{4s-5}{(s-a)^2 + b^2},$$ which you can invert using some of the properties listed in your tables.

vela said:
The point is that you shouldn't write ##s^2-4s+8 = 2\pm 2i## if what you mean is ##s^2-4s+8 = (s-(2+2i))(s-(2-2i))##.SteamKing is suggesting you write the transform in the form
$$\frac{4s-5}{(s-a)^2 + b^2},$$ which you can invert using some of the properties listed in your tables.

Thanks for replying.

I understand what you mean, although I'm a bit confused as to what a would be in my case. I'm just confused since I've been working on complex numbers today, and my teacher just said that there are two (possibly more) solutions to this problem. One complex and one "normal".

Looking at what you've written, it seems like there should be a sin(wt) + cos(wt) solution. But it doesn't make totally sense.

If I look at the ##e^wt## (both w and t should be "squared") properties, I can see a possible connection, but I'm not sure how I go about to solve it completely?

Thanks for sticking with me on this, I really appreciate it!

Last edited:

1. What is the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the complex frequency domain (usually represented as a Laplace transform) and converts it back into the time domain. It is denoted as L-1{F(s)} and is defined as f(t) = (1/2πi) ∫γ-i∞γ+i∞ est F(s) ds, where γ is a constant chosen such that all poles of F(s) are to the left of the line Re(s) = γ.

2. What is polynomial division in the context of inverse Laplace transform?

Polynomial division is a technique used in finding the inverse Laplace transform of a function with a rational expression in the numerator and denominator. It involves dividing the numerator polynomial by the denominator polynomial to simplify the expression and make it easier to find the inverse transform. This technique is especially useful for functions with complex roots.

3. How is the inverse Laplace transform affected by complex roots?

In the context of inverse Laplace transform, complex roots refer to roots of the denominator polynomial that are complex numbers. These roots affect the form of the inverse transform and require the use of partial fraction decomposition and the use of complex numbers in the final solution. In some cases, complex roots can also lead to oscillatory behavior in the time domain.

4. Can the inverse Laplace transform be used for functions with non-polynomial expressions?

Yes, the inverse Laplace transform can be used for functions with non-polynomial expressions. However, in these cases, the inverse transform cannot be found using polynomial division and may require other techniques such as the use of tables or the use of contour integration.

5. What are the applications of inverse Laplace transform in science and engineering?

Inverse Laplace transform has various applications in science and engineering, particularly in the fields of signal processing, control theory, and differential equations. It is used to solve systems of linear differential equations, analyze the behavior of electronic circuits, and study the response of systems to different inputs. Additionally, it is also used in the study of probability and statistics, specifically in the calculation of moment-generating functions.