Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need help with linear independence proof!

1. Mar 7, 2006 #1
    Hi,

I don't know how to do the following proof:

If (v1, ...vn) are linearly independent in V, then so is the list (v1-v2, v2-v3, ...vn-1 -vn, vn).

I can do the proof if I replace 'linearly independent' with 'spans V' ...so what connection am I missing?

Thanks much!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2006 #2

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

Prove it by contradiction. If the second set of vectors was not linearly independent, then you can write 0 as a linear combination of those vectors. Then simply expand out each vector to show that this implies v1...vn are also linearly dependent.

4. Mar 7, 2006 #3
    Great thanks. Here's another one for you...Prove that if V is finite dimensional with dim V > 1, then the set of noninvertible operators on V is not a subspace of L(V)

5. Mar 7, 2006 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What have you done for that second problem dyanmcc? Start by thinking about matrices.

6. Mar 8, 2006 #5

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

Also be sure to prove that there is still a nonzero coefficient when you expand the vectors out. (look at the FIRST nonzero coefficient before expansion)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook