Need help with method for fourth order DE

• Thread starter wilkie610
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation discussed two parts of an example given in class and solving two differential equations using substitution and reduction in order. The method of solving used in the second part was suggested to be reduction in order, and it was recommended to search for more information on this technique. The resulting solution for z was given and it was suggested to integrate twice to find y.
wilkie610
I was given a 2 part example in class to work on for next class.

1) given the equation y'' + 3y' + 2y = 4 ; Initial conditions are y(0) = y'(0) = 0

I had no problem solving the DE, my result is as follows

y=-4e^(-t) = 2e^(-2t) +2

2) given the equation y'''' + 3y''' + 2y'' = 4 ; Initial conditions are y''''(0) = y'''(0) = y''(0) = 0, a hint was given to substitute z = y'' into the equation to transform it into z'' +3z' +2z = 4. which is similar to the first part of the problem.

My question is what is this method of solving called, the substitution part in number 2? where can i read up on this technique? what do it do next with the z=y''Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think this might be called reduction in order. You might try searching for that term.

In your fourth order equation that you reduced to second order, you have a solution for z, namely z(t) = -4e^(-t) + 2e^(-2t) + 2.

Since z = y'', seems like you should be able to integrate twice to get y.

I was thinking that, but wasn't sure, i will give it a try, thanks

What is a fourth-order differential equation?

A fourth-order differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves four derivatives of an unknown function with respect to an independent variable. It is often used to model physical systems that exhibit complex behavior.

Why do we need help with methods for solving fourth-order DEs?

Solving fourth-order differential equations can be challenging and requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques. Many scientists and mathematicians may need help with finding the most efficient and accurate methods for solving these types of equations.

What are some common methods for solving fourth-order DEs?

Some common methods for solving fourth-order differential equations include separation of variables, power series, Laplace transforms, and numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods.

What are some real-world applications of fourth-order DEs?

Fourth-order differential equations are used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, including vibrations of strings and beams, electrical circuits, and fluid dynamics. They are also commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze and design complex systems.

Can you provide an example of a fourth-order DE and its solution?

An example of a fourth-order differential equation is the equation of motion for a spring-mass system with damping: m*y''''(t) + b*y'''(t) + k*y''(t) = F(t), where m is the mass, b is the damping coefficient, k is the spring constant, and F(t) is the external force. The solution to this equation can be found using methods such as the Laplace transform or numerical methods.