Need help with my homework 45minutes left till i have to hand it in

In summary: If you have a piece of silver foil that is 96cm in diameter, what will be the focal length of the mirror?In summary, Bianca creates a mirror using silver foil and an old beach ball. The focal length of the mirror is calculated to be 96 cm. The image produced by the solar cooker will not be focused at one point, but will be spread out instead.
MBEE
[URGENT] Need help with my homework! 45minutes left till i have to hand it in

Homework Statement

a) Bianca wants to make a solar cooker to take on her camping trip
what type of mirror does she need?

b) Bianca makes a mirror by putting silver foil on an old, cut-up beach ball. The ball has a diameter of 96cm. Calculate the focal length of the mirror.

c) Draw a diagram to show the mirror, the direction of the sun's rays, and the position of bianca's food.

d)State the nature of the image produced by the solar cooker

e) Bianca's food cannot all be at one point. Discuss the effectiveness of the solar cooker at 5cm from the focus.

Homework Equations

1/f=1/do+1/di

m=di/do=hi/ho

siso=f2

m=f/so=si/f

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm really bad at physics:S

MBEE said:

Homework Statement

a) Bianca wants to make a solar cooker to take on her camping trip
what type of mirror does she need?

b) Bianca makes a mirror by putting silver foil on an old, cut-up beach ball. The ball has a diameter of 96cm. Calculate the focal length of the mirror.

c) Draw a diagram to show the mirror, the direction of the sun's rays, and the position of bianca's food.

d)State the nature of the image produced by the solar cooker

e) Bianca's food cannot all be at one point. Discuss the effectiveness of the solar cooker at 5cm from the focus.

Homework Equations

1/f=1/do+1/di

m=di/do=hi/ho

siso=f2

m=f/so=si/f

a) You need a mirror that focuses light on 1 point, which mirror does this?

b) f = R/2

c) You can probably do this yourself..., the sun's rays would be horizontal lines toward the mirror

d) Again, once you have the ray diagram, this is self explanatory.

e) This is a magnification problem, so use M=di/do

You need to fill out this:
MBEE said:

first.

a) To make a solar cooker, Bianca will need a concave mirror. This type of mirror will focus the sun's rays to a single point, making it ideal for cooking.

b) Using the formula 1/f=1/do+1/di, we can rearrange to solve for the focal length (f). We know that the diameter of the mirror (D) is 96cm, so the radius (R) is half of that, or 48cm. Plugging in the values, we get:

1/f=1/(48cm)+1/di

1/f=1/(48cm)+1/(48cm)

1/f=2/(48cm)

f=48cm/2

f=24cm

Therefore, the focal length of the mirror is 24cm.

c) Please refer to the attached diagram for a visual representation of the mirror, sun's rays, and Bianca's food.

d) The image produced by the solar cooker will be real, inverted, and smaller than the actual object.

e) When Bianca's food is placed 5cm from the focus, the image distance (di) will be 24cm-5cm=19cm. Using the formula m=di/do, we can calculate the magnification of the image:

m=19cm/do

Since the object distance (do) is greater than the focal length (24cm), the magnification will be less than 1. This means that the image will be smaller than the actual object, making it less effective for cooking. It would be more effective to place the food closer to the focal point, or even at the focal point, to achieve a larger magnification and therefore a larger image for better cooking.

1. Can you help me with my homework?

Yes, as a scientist, I can provide guidance and assistance with your homework.

2. I only have 45 minutes left until the deadline, can you still help?

Yes, I will do my best to help you complete your homework within the remaining time.

3. What subject is your expertise?

As a scientist, I have a broad understanding of various subjects such as math, science, and technology. However, my specific expertise may vary.

4. Will you do my homework for me?

No, as a scientist, it is not ethical for me to do someone else's homework. I can only provide guidance and assistance.

5. How can I trust your help for my homework?

As a scientist, I have a strong sense of responsibility and integrity. I will provide accurate and reliable guidance to the best of my knowledge and abilities.