Need help with my webcam. I think I might be hacked.

• Thread starter gtguhoij
  • Start date

Summary:

I think I might be hacked. Can someone help? There is a video below that shows the problem.
I am using Avira and Malwarebytes and my firewall is on. It shows no viruses on avira or Malwarebytes.

At the very least can someone help me fix my webcam?

Here is the video. As you can see the webcam is flickering.

Thanks for the help

This picture shows the specs

Answers and Replies

hutchphd
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
On the webcam control choose 50Hz or 60 Hz anti flicker depending upon your location. Also try a different output resolution and see if that makes a difference. I like YAWCAM freeware to play with camera if you don't have the manufacturer's stuff. It does look a bit strange.

The webcam is built into the pc. I just have 50Hz or 60 Hz.

russ_watters
Mentor
The webcam is built into the pc.
That doesn't mean anything. The application you are using to view the image should have settings you can adjust (what application is it?). If not, get another app with more adjustable settings to test.

What about this issue makes you think it is a hack?

My application is the camera app. I just push the windows button and search camera. I don't have very many settings. There is no flicker setting I will download https://www.yawcam.com/ and see if that works.

I did say I am not sure about the hacking though.

Thanks for the help so far.

Last edited:
Wrichik Basu
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Could be because of a faulty driver. Also try updating/rolling back the driver of the webcam.

Likes hutchphd
I updated the drivers no difference and for some reason it won't let me roll back the drivers. Any advice?

hutchphd
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I think some of the internal cameras are internal USB connections so it may make sense to try an external USB camera and see if it also is screwing up
Of course it never hurts to reboot a few times. (the last refuge of the confused....)

I don't own a external camera and rather not spend the money are there any other options? I guess I could buy an webcam and return it. I manage to roll back the drivers and same problem persist. Just wanted to add when I use skype or some other application I don't see the flashing. I rebooted no effect.

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd
Wrichik Basu
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
It could be a hardware problem, or software problem. Since you are saying that there is no problem when you are using the webcam from other applications like Skype, it seems to be a software problem rather than hardware. Try installing some other camera apps; there are a lot available online.

etotheipi
Gold Member
2020 Award
Did you already try giving it a gentle whack?

Did you already try giving it a gentle whack?
In the '60s that sometimes helped temporarily to re-seat a vacuum tube ##\dots##

Likes hutchphd and etotheipi
hutchphd
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
In my experience Skype is very "grabby". Make sure Skype is not running (tell it not to run in background or at start) and try the windows camera link. Did you try Yawcam? Pretty clearly this is an internal software issue and not likely the invasion of the camera snatchers.