Need help with peak deconvolution

In summary, the conversation is about someone new to peak deconvolution seeking information and suggestions for a deeper understanding. They mention not being familiar with Fourier transforms and ask about the software "Igor" for deconvolution. Additionally, they share that they have data from an experiment involving intensity and time and are looking to separate the IRF and fluorescence intensity using convolution. Suggestions are requested for using Igor for this purpose.
Sheng2016
I am new to peak deconvolution, I try to find information about this on the internet but just get a brief understanding of it. Can anyone provide me some suggestions or information about having a deeper understanding of this thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Sheng, :welcome:

You need to help us to provide assistance at the right level. Are you familiar with Fourier transforms ? The convolution theorem ? If not, google and pick the style of presentation you like best

BvU said:
Hello Sheng, :welcome:

You need to help us to provide assistance at the right level. Are you familiar with Fourier transforms ? The convolution theorem ? If not, google and pick the style of presentation you like best

Hi BvU,

I am not quite familiar with the Fourier transforms, I am trying to find some software that can help me with peak deconvolution. Do you know the software called "Ignor"? I'm trying to find if this can help me or not. Thanks!

What in particular are you trying to deconvolve?

gleem said:
What in particular are you trying to deconvolve?

I got data from experiment,it is a curve about intensity and time, and it is a combination of the IRF (instrument response factor) and the fluorescence intensity that I want to separate. Their relationship is
fit-1.png

whereas L is the IRF and I is the fluorescence intensity, N is the convolution. I am learning Igor now and try to find if it can help me to deconvolute it. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

1. What is peak deconvolution?

Peak deconvolution is a mathematical process used to separate overlapping peaks in a signal or spectrum. It is commonly used in analytical chemistry and physics to analyze complex data and identify individual components.

2. Why is peak deconvolution important?

Peak deconvolution is important because it allows for more accurate and precise analysis of complex data. It can help to identify small or hidden peaks that may not be visible in the original signal and can provide more detailed information about the components present in a sample.

3. How does peak deconvolution work?

Peak deconvolution works by using mathematical algorithms to separate overlapping peaks into individual components. This is achieved by estimating the shape and position of each peak and then subtracting it from the original signal. The process is repeated until all peaks have been separated.

4. What are the challenges of peak deconvolution?

One of the main challenges of peak deconvolution is determining the optimal parameters for the algorithm. This can be influenced by various factors such as the shape and width of the peaks, noise in the signal, and the number of components present. Additionally, peak deconvolution may not be able to accurately separate highly overlapped peaks, making it less effective in certain cases.

5. What are some commonly used software for peak deconvolution?

There are several software programs available for peak deconvolution, including ChromaTOF, MestReNova, PeakFit, and OriginPro. These programs use different algorithms and approaches for peak deconvolution, so it is important to choose one that best suits your data and research needs.