Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help With Pressure Downstream of Solenoid.

1. Oct 23, 2007 #1
    I have an air cannon, which launches a ping pong ball. The setup for this includes the reservoir, solenoid and barrel. I have to find a function for the range of the launcher. I am currently stuck at working out the downstream pressure for the solenoid. At the moment I have the mass flow rate through the solenoid and the gauge pressure for the reservoir. I was wondering if there was a way of using these values to calculate the downstream pressure acting on the ball?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

I would look at it more from the standpoint of what force does the mass flow impart on the ball, not what the pressure is. To start with a very rough calculation, calculate the force produced by your mass flow if it were to impinge on a flat plate. That will be your maximum possible propulsive force. You know that you'll never get better than that.
  4. Oct 24, 2007 #3
    Thanks for your help Fred. I used the equation: F = mass_flowrate * gas_velocity to work out the force on the ball. This seems to give reasonable answers.
  5. Oct 24, 2007 #4

Science Advisor

Don't forget to add a small fudge factor in there as well because there will be some leakage past the ball.

Also, don't forget that if you have an appreciable delta P across the valve, chances are the flow will be choked.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?