Need Help With Pressure Downstream of Solenoid.

In summary, the conversation discusses the setup of an air cannon that launches a ping pong ball and the need to find a function for its range. The individual is stuck at calculating the downstream pressure for the solenoid and seeks assistance. They are advised to calculate the force produced by the mass flow, taking into account potential leakage and flow being choked. The individual uses the equation F = mass_flowrate * gas_velocity to calculate the force on the ball.
Staffy
I have an air cannon, which launches a ping pong ball. The setup for this includes the reservoir, solenoid and barrel. I have to find a function for the range of the launcher. I am currently stuck at working out the downstream pressure for the solenoid. At the moment I have the mass flow rate through the solenoid and the gauge pressure for the reservoir. I was wondering if there was a way of using these values to calculate the downstream pressure acting on the ball?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would look at it more from the standpoint of what force does the mass flow impart on the ball, not what the pressure is. To start with a very rough calculation, calculate the force produced by your mass flow if it were to impinge on a flat plate. That will be your maximum possible propulsive force. You know that you'll never get better than that.

Thanks for your help Fred. I used the equation: F = mass_flowrate * gas_velocity to work out the force on the ball. This seems to give reasonable answers.
Nathan

Don't forget to add a small fudge factor in there as well because there will be some leakage past the ball.

Also, don't forget that if you have an appreciable delta P across the valve, chances are the flow will be choked.

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is an electromechanical device that uses an electrical current to create a magnetic field, which can then be used to control the movement of a mechanical component, such as a valve or switch.

2. Why would pressure be an issue downstream of a solenoid?

Pressure downstream of a solenoid can be affected by several factors, such as the size and design of the solenoid, the flow rate of the fluid being controlled, and any restrictions or blockages in the system. If the pressure is not properly regulated, it can cause problems with the functioning of the solenoid and the overall system.

3. How can I troubleshoot pressure issues downstream of a solenoid?

One way to troubleshoot pressure problems is to check for any clogs or obstructions in the system. You can also make sure that the solenoid is properly sized and that the flow rate is within the recommended range. Additionally, you can try adjusting the pressure regulator or installing a pressure relief valve to help regulate the downstream pressure.

4. What are some potential solutions for pressure issues downstream of a solenoid?

If the pressure downstream of a solenoid is too high, you can try installing a pressure regulator or a pressure relief valve to help regulate the pressure. If the pressure is too low, you may need to increase the flow rate or check for any obstructions in the system. You can also consult with a professional to determine the best solution for your specific situation.

5. Is it possible to prevent pressure issues downstream of a solenoid?

While it may not be possible to completely prevent pressure issues, there are steps you can take to minimize their occurrence. This includes properly sizing and selecting the solenoid for the intended application, regularly maintaining and checking the system for any clogs or obstructions, and installing pressure regulators or relief valves to help regulate the pressure.